WTB: Geib style mouthpiece

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

WTB: Geib style mouthpiece

Post by bort »

I own a Kanstul Geib mouthpiece, and want to try a few other variations. The Kanstul is awesome, but something slightly wider would be slightly awesome.

Not interested in the Stofer Geib, but interested in trying a Schille, Laskey, Conn (yeah right!) or anything else similar.

Let me know what you've got! Thanks!
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Re: WTB: Geib style mouthpiece

Post by EMC »

Hey Bort, I have a Dillon 2 G B that I'm not really using these days. Interested?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Bump! Euro shank, please.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

IMHO, "Geib" shaped cups are fairly deep, very pear shaped bowls. The throats on them are usually relatively small, around 8mm-ish.

Laskey (30g/28g) and Schilke Geibs are more like bowled out Schilke Helleberg IIs than Geib-shaped cups. They have 8.2ish mm backbores like Schilke or Conn Hellebergs. IMHO, the Laskey (30g/28g) and Schilke Geibs are not particularly similar to Conn/Stofer/Kanstul Geibs.

You might be interested in the Dillon G - series (G1, G2, G3, M1C, G5), but the rims are wider and rounder than your Kanstul Geib. IIRC, all of these have very similar cups and a large throat (in the ballpark of 8.3 or 8.4 mm iirc) , but subtle changes at the very bottom of the cup except for the G5, which has a very small 7.5 mm throat. The "L" shanks on these are larger than normal Euro.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29615" target="_blank

The Sellmansberger Symphony with the #2 rim and Orchestra Grande shank is fairly similar to a Conn Geib. If you want it to be more open, get the Symphony shank rather than the smaller OG one. The 3 piece models allow for a lot of tweak-ability. I would get a complete OG and Symphony 3-piece jobs and play around interchanging the parts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks, you always give me much more detailed information than I could ever expect.

Any guess where the Wedge Geib fits in this?

I guess beyond whatever might be around here, I've been thinking of 2 options:
-- buying a Kanstul Geib with Euro shank (the original plan)
-- calling Joe and finding an appropriate blokepiece combo, as you suggest. I'm not wild about stainless, but think that I should probably give it a try again.

Thanks! :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

russiantuba wrote:You may want to try a Hammond Design L (Geib Style). A local shop was selling them at a good price so I picked one up, but the rim didn't work for me comfort wise, and I thought the throat was too big for the mouthpiece IMO. I tried a Stofer Geib at a conference and thats what I use now on my big horn. I spoke directly to the local shop, who knows the owner, and said that Hammond drilled the throat open by request. I find Stofer's good copy of the Conn Geib to be more efficient than the Hammond.
Thanks -- I tried one of the Stofer Geib's a while back, and really liked it, it was just the wrong shank size. And you know, I guess I forgot until now, when reading a few things, that I really liked it.

Maybe it's worth another shot. Thanks for jogging my memory!
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

bort wrote:Thanks, you always give me much more detailed information than I could ever expect.

Any guess where the Wedge Geib fits in this?

I guess beyond whatever might be around here, I've been thinking of 2 options:
-- buying a Kanstul Geib with Euro shank (the original plan)
-- calling Joe and finding an appropriate blokepiece combo, as you suggest. I'm not wild about stainless, but think that I should probably give it a try again.

Thanks! :tuba:
You are welcome.
http://www.wedgemouthpiece.com/catalogue/tuba.html" target="_blank says that the Wedge SG is based on the Schilke Geib (meh).
Either of your two options would work fine. :) I'd pick number two.
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Post by rudysan »

I would try a Lakey 30G, since it has a bigger throat size (8.2mm). The schilke and Stofer (I don't know about the others) are more between 7.9 and 8.0mm. I think that can help to open the sound with a big tuba like your Wilson. I also talk to a guy who drilled his Stofer Geib to 8.4mm and got good results. Maybe you can try that with your Kanstul...
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks! I actually don't have the Kanstul anymore (sold it, wrong shank size), but that's an interesting idea. A few years ago, I borrowed a Stofer Geib from a board member here (from Georgia) who had drilled out one of these as you mentioned. I liked it a lot, but again, wrong shank size (which would be the right size now!).

I'm going to try the Stofer next. Got a good deal on one, so it's a very low-risk move. I'm not in a big hurry.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone!
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

Don't rule out the AT4U :tuba:

Awesome mouthpiece. I have two others in the line that I love and I'm looking at picking up the 3U very soon.