FS/FT Meinl-Weston 46 F $2500

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

FS/FT Meinl-Weston 46 F $2500

Post by ScottBass55 »

For some personal and monetary reasons, I'm having to sell my Meinl 46 F tuba. It's in raw brass, and plays beautifully. It's a Cold War horn, and you can see the engraving Made in West Germany on the leadpipe. I'm asking $2,500 or trade for a Small CC.

Last edited by ScottBass55 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS/FT Meinl-Weston 46 F $3000

Post by eupho »

I have a J. Lidl 702 3/4 CC 4v.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottBass55 »

bump
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottBass55 »

bump
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

I bought this horn in 1970 from Charlie Ford at the Getzen Company in Elkhorn. At the time, 12 had just arrived from Wenzl Meinl in Germany. There were 6 with 5 valves and 6 with 6 valves. I spent the entire day going through all of them. This one I thought to be the best of the batch, but after all that many, who knows how punchy I was at the time. In the 70s these were about the largest F tubas generally available, though by todays standards they are pretty medium sized. The mid range of the horn from bottom line F up to F above the staff was rock solid and very tight slots. The lower register was not so much fun. My teacher, Abe Torchinsky put me on this horn as he had recently acquired one. As the Philly Orch had Mahler 1 up for recording, he used it on the Solo in the funeral march. Apparently it met with Ormandy's approval so Abe decided to record the entire symphony on it. I can put out some serious sound. To a young guy of 23, this was all the testimonial I needed, so I popped for one just like it. I used it for about 75 % of my playing for about 30 years. Did the VW on it several times, Sym Fantastique 3Xs and tons of other gigs including playing the Stars and Stripes piccolo solo about 500 times. I did move some braces so the valve paddles would sit higher, as well as trying to find a good angle for the lead pipe.About 15 years ago I finally broke down and stripped what was left of the lacquer. We talk about German workmanship, but I have to grouse a bit here. There was not one parallel tuning slide and from the get go the linkage was always stiff, sluggish and noisy. But I kept it for 40 years since I had no choice financially to pop for a fancy new one. And even some of the newer models, RM, MF, HB, B&S, PT still had about the same number of quirks, just different. Two years ago I decided to let it go as I had recently purchased the F of my dreams. A BMB. I've seen the old MW up on Tube Net a few times since then. Sometimes I come close to sellers remorse, but I have to admit that I think I basically wore it out. It would have cost much more to rebuild than a new one. For someone who wants a good used F to handle the standard orch repertoire, this would be a good one for that. I does pack a punch. I paid $690 for it in 1970. For me it was not a bad investment.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
syounkin
lurker
lurker

Post by syounkin »

Where is the horn located?
Shawn Younkin
B&S PT-4p
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottBass55 »

The horn's located in Chicago
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottBass55 »

Bump again
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottBass55 »

Bump. This horn's got some history with a low price! I want this guy to go into some good hands.
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Post by ScottBass55 »

ScottBass55 wrote:Bump. This horn's got some history with a low price! I want this guy to go into some good hands.
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Re: FS/FT Meinl-Weston 46 F $2500

Post by ScottBass55 »

Bump for Price Drop
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Re: FS/FT Meinl-Weston 46 F $2500

Post by ScottBass55 »

Bunp