Help finding a decent BBb tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
petepuma
lurker
lurker

Help finding a decent BBb tuba

Post by petepuma »

Been looking for months for a decent tuba on ebay and the like. For now I am borrowing a full sized Dynasty that is not bad but am interested in buying one that is as good or better. I understand condition issues but I am not familiar with brands and models that would be decent. Would like better than a student model but can't go full blown professional. Would like anyone perusing ebay or the like to help me find a tuba that fits my needs.

Note, I am new to this blog so forgive me if this post is inappropriate. Please don't bash anyone's suggestions. We all have a right to our opinion.

Thanks for any help

petepuma

Dubby
bugler
bugler

Re: Help finding a decent BBb tuba

Post by Dubby »

What is your budget?
petepuma
lurker
lurker

Post by petepuma »

Of course the budget is tight. I was hoping to stay under $2000 but realize that may not get me much. I am willing to stretch this if the horn is good and it has a chance of holding its value. I see things that are in my price range but never sure if it is a good buy. As you can imagine, I am looking for the best I can get. I am in Western PA.

Thank you all for your posts so far.
Tabor
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tabor »

thevillagetinker.com

King 4v under budget with good valves.

The upright bells can be found. I have one, actually.
Tubas
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-20J-tuba-N ... SwcOFWa4H0" target="_blank Can't go wrong with a 20J. Big tuba, big sound. :tuba:
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

Agreed. If you want a 6/4, well made tuba with a huge beautiful sound... Can't go wrong with a 20J. You can always find good ones for under $1500. You don't need four valves with them. With mine atleast, could pump out the pedals in tune with false fingerings. Can't go wrong.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

What's the purpose? Are you a student headed for college for a music major, playing in a community band or quintets at church. Do you care if the horn is big or small (are you big or small, can you physically handle a large horn?).

I find myself looking at trading down to a smaller horn because approaching 60 lugging it to community band practice is becoming a consideration : )

Yamaha 321's are non-compensated 4 valves. A nice intermediate horn. The Kings are always a good choice, but heavy metal. I wouldn't get hugely concerned about stencil horns. They have been around since the 1800's : ) Durability and sound are always important. You are going to drop it someday.

Don't let dents bother you - the condition of the valveset and how it sounds is the most important. I have a shop in town that will make any tuba pretty for about $700.

Good luck
Bwemrich
lurker
lurker

Post by Bwemrich »

I am also in Western PA. contact me for tuba at bruceemrich@gmail.com" target="_blank
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Everybody can take pot shots with their favorite tuba - the "186" rants of the past on this forum come to mind - but unless the OP gives us an idea of his intended application and repertoire, as well as his budget, then all tubas are good, and no tubas are good.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Frank Byrne
bugler
bugler

Post by Frank Byrne »

I tried all the BB-flat tubas at Midwest and perhaps the best bargain there was the Tuba Exchange TE-2111 -- a 4/4, 4 rotary horn that is compact but has quite an amazing sound. The retail price is $2,395 brand new. Very easy to play.
petepuma
lurker
lurker

Post by petepuma »

Thanks all of you for your help. I came to realize that I should wait a little longer in order to save enough for a new horn. I have someone close here that knows about tubas and he thought your advice was honest. He also thought that the offers given were quite good. I really appreciate that and will repost when I've saved enough. Thanks.