FS: B&S Neptune - ON HOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: B&S Neptune - $7500

Post by TheHatTuba »

bump
Ed Jones
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Ed Jones »

jeopardymaster wrote:My one observation from playing my Neptune is that it plays consistently on the sharp side with either leadpipe. My bottom line g slots a trifle higher (depending on the key I sometimes play that note 3-5) but otherwise my horn plays very well in tune with itself, just a tad sharp. And to be clear, that is not a problem, just a characteristic. I don't know if that is due to me (although I doubt it, because I'm usually pretty close with minimal adjustment) or the particular instrument, or is a common issue.

So I'll ask - do you find the need to pull the main slide out more on your Neptune than you do other instruments? And does your choice of leadpipe affect the answer. For what it's worth, I love my Neptune, and love the compliments I get when I use it. I agree that the rotary model is a great instrument (not so the piston model), and that this is a TERRIFIC price for one that's in good shape.

Caveat, in the interest of full disclosure I have not played this one, and do not know the seller.
I have noticed that many people comment on the rotary Neptune playing sharp. Try setting the main slide using G rather than C. That should cause the 4th and 5th partials to be flat but the rest of the horn to be remarkably in tune. As an experiment, push the main slide all the way in and check the notes in the 4th and 5th partials. I'll bet they are dead on in tune or pretty close to it. The solution: spend a few hundred dollars and an have a good repairman add a main slide tuning stick so you can pull in for those notes and your set. I did this seventeen years ago and have never regretted it. And by the way, changing the leadpipe doesn't affect the intonation one bit.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

bump