FS: B&S Neptune - ON HOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

FS: B&S Neptune - ON HOLD

Post by TheHatTuba »

Hello all,

For sale is my rotary B&S Neptune. Supposedly, the reason it has "B&S" on the bell instead of "VMI" is because this one was made for a market outside of the USA (not sure if this is true, just something I heard).

Anyways, it is a fantastic, easy to play, large tuba. Pitch is pretty simple, especially with the 2nd valve kicker. The 2nd valve was not vented at the factory like most Neptunes I have seen. It has a few scratches and pings. Included is a B&S gig bag, a second leadpipe and second 5th valve slide (short one for the BBb setting on the 5th valve).

ON HOLD

Here are some pictures (finally).

Please email or PM and questions/concerns. :tuba:
Last edited by TheHatTuba on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Re: FS: B&S Neptune - $7500

Post by TheHatTuba »

Thank you both for the kind words.

The horn is well enough in tune to begin with, but the 2nd valve kicker makes playing it easy as can be (pretty fun to play with during rests too).
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Good luck with the sale. I certainly like my Neptune for the money that I paid for it. I'm the only tuba player in a concert band of about 40. We also had four percussionists in our most recent concert, so using a Neptune isn't at all 'too big' for that ensemble (Santa Cruz City Band). The second valve kicker works great. It's very difficult to reach the first valve slide, but it's easy to attach an extension with a ring on it. I'm having that done next. I also have a T-bar throw for the main slide, but I can't do real quick adjustments with that.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

bump
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

It's hard to look away from this tuba. These things are stunning to look at in-person, and are a LOT of fun to play. I wish it would have worked out for me to keep mine. Among other things, it just didn't fit in my car. :(

Bump!
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

Bump. A Schlipf practice mute can be included in the sale price.
Ian1
bugler
bugler

Post by Ian1 »

This is a REALLY good tuba.
UK tuba player and teacher
Royal Shakespeare Company

Besson EEb
Miraphone 1291 CC
Alessandro Faccin Cimbasso
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Very nice!!!
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

As another former owner of THIS particular Neptune I will agree with Ian (who I sold it to) that it is a great tuba.
Peach
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

Peach wrote:As another former owner of THIS particular Neptune I will agree with Ian (who I sold it to) that it is a great tuba.
Can we get Mike Johnson to chime in too? :D

Probably going to pull this off the market for a while. Bigger than I would like, but it's just easy to play...

(last bump)
Huffey14
lurker
lurker

Post by Huffey14 »

Still on the market?
Thomas Huffmaster
BM, Western Michigan University '18
MM, University of Wisconsin-Madison '20
PT-6, PT-15
huffmaster@wisc.edu" target="_blank
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

Bump
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

My one observation from playing my Neptune is that it plays consistently on the sharp side with either leadpipe. My bottom line g slots a trifle higher (depending on the key I sometimes play that note 3-5) but otherwise my horn plays very well in tune with itself, just a tad sharp. And to be clear, that is not a problem, just a characteristic. I don't know if that is due to me (although I doubt it, because I'm usually pretty close with minimal adjustment) or the particular instrument, or is a common issue.

So I'll ask - do you find the need to pull the main slide out more on your Neptune than you do other instruments? And does your choice of leadpipe affect the answer. For what it's worth, I love my Neptune, and love the compliments I get when I use it. I agree that the rotary model is a great instrument (not so the piston model), and that this is a TERRIFIC price for one that's in good shape.

Caveat, in the interest of full disclosure I have not played this one, and do not know the seller.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

jeopardymaster wrote:do you find the need to pull the main slide out more on your Neptune than you do other instruments? And does your choice of leadpipe affect the answer.
Perhaps yours has a 443 slide? How far is it out? Mine is similar to rest of my instruments (1/2"-1"). I have not switched leadpipes since receiving it, but I can check that over the holiday.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

These really are gorgeous tubas! Just wish they would fit in my car!
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

bump
lucascook
lurker
lurker

Post by lucascook »

PM sent
Jamspace
lurker
lurker

Post by Jamspace »

E-Mail Sent :tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

bump
Ed Jones
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Ed Jones »

jeopardymaster wrote:My one observation from playing my Neptune is that it plays consistently on the sharp side with either leadpipe. My bottom line g slots a trifle higher (depending on the key I sometimes play that note 3-5) but otherwise my horn plays very well in tune with itself, just a tad sharp. And to be clear, that is not a problem, just a characteristic. I don't know if that is due to me (although I doubt it, because I'm usually pretty close with minimal adjustment) or the particular instrument, or is a common issue.

So I'll ask - do you find the need to pull the main slide out more on your Neptune than you do other instruments? And does your choice of leadpipe affect the answer. For what it's worth, I love my Neptune, and love the compliments I get when I use it. I agree that the rotary model is a great instrument (not so the piston model), and that this is a TERRIFIC price for one that's in good shape.

Caveat, in the interest of full disclosure I have not played this one, and do not know the seller.
I have noticed that many people comment on the rotary Neptune playing sharp. Try setting the main slide using G rather than C. That should cause the 4th and 5th partials to be flat but the rest of the horn to be remarkably in tune. As an experiment, push the main slide all the way in and check the notes in the 4th and 5th partials. I'll bet they are dead on in tune or pretty close to it. The solution: spend a few hundred dollars and an have a good repairman add a main slide tuning stick so you can pull in for those notes and your set. I did this seventeen years ago and have never regretted it. And by the way, changing the leadpipe doesn't affect the intonation one bit.