RVW Concerto for Tuba by Bill Bell Recorded 1955

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mikelynch
bugler
bugler

Post by Mikelynch »

Understood...

And some of the difference in opinion may come from a difference in perspective. Ralph was playing the horn professionally, though not exclusively. This isn't a horn that gives one a lot of help in achieving the sound concept one has in their head. But Ralph sounds good on the CD. Ralph did have a couple of mouthpieces that helped a lot. Though I have found one I like better.

Not having to earn money with the horn, I play it to hear what sound the horn wants to make. Heck, it's even older than me-- it's got to be even less willing to adapt. No sense frustrating us both by trying to impose my will on it!

Mike Lynch
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: RVW Concerto for Tuba by Bill Bell Recorded 1955

Post by Rick Denney »

Legendary Artists wrote:Everyone needs to remember that this was recorded in 1955, there had never been a real tuba concerto and he was playing on a POS horn. In addition, Mr. Bell was never known for his outstanding upper register and this was not recorded at the top of his career.
I have a recording of Philip Catelinet playing the RVW in 1954. The recording was made the day following the premiere. Catelinet played the Besson compensating F tuba (not a Barlow F), which is probably not unlike Bill Bell's little F in many ways.

And that recording, by current standards, is really sub-par. Technially, the player sounds like a modern amateur--more articulation than note. I was quite surprised by it.

What also surprised me was that the weakness of the musical interpretation. The notes were clipped, there was very little dynamic shaping, and none of the humor of the piece came through at all. It sounded as though Catelinet was really struggling with it.

I had concluded that Catelinet must have been are pretty unimpressive tuba player. But if Bell's recording of the work at the same time also has problems, then that might temper my criticism a bit.

It would appear that the Vaughan Williams concerto is perhaps a bit more musically challenging that we think, from this perspective of having a series of excellent and very different versions of it on record. I wonder if Bell was able to correspond with the composer at all before his U.S. premiere? Dr. Vaughan Williams might have found a more capable collaborator in Bell than with Catelinet.

And the notion of large, deep-sounding F tubas is also a relatively recent phenomenon. In the article on Helleberg that someone posted the other day, they show pictures of Danish tuba players into the 50's who were using F tubas modeled quite closely on the original Moritz tuba designed by Wieprecht from the 1830's. The pictures showed a very narrow taper design, a bell well under 10 inches, and five valves. The tiny Barlow F tuba used in British orchestras was bigger by comparison, and the Alexander-style rotary used in Germany at the time would have been huge. Thus, Bell's F was probably thought to be normal to large, for an orchestral F, and the prevailing sound concept was likely very much smaller than today, even with an F. Catelinet's Besson compensator was certainly one of the largest F tubas on the market at the time.

We think these instruments sound like euphoniums, but I think it would be more accurate to say that the euphoniums of today sound like the orchestral F tubas of the past.

I want one of these recordings. In the context of the recordings of the day, I'll bet it's still world-class.

Rick "who thinks the RVW defies the 'simple' category into which it is often relegated" Denney
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Post by SirCharls »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

That was a great exchange in the overall...

Very informative and entertaining.

Thanks,

Charles D. Ortega
Principal Tuba, Colorado Springs Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Tuba, Apollo Chamber Brass
Tuba-Euphonium Instructor- Colorado State University-Pueblo
------------------------------
https://sircharlso.wixsite.com/apollochamberbrass
Mark

Post by Mark »

Here is the photo of Bell and the F tuba.
PhilipJ
bugler
bugler

Post by PhilipJ »

Just got my CD today; how wonderful, and interesting! I was surprised to read that the DAT was copied from the original reel-to-reel recording of the concert; Dr. Nowicke had mentioned in a previous thread that the original recording was preserved on an acetate transcription phonograph disc, and I shuddered at the thought of the poor fidelity. It turns out that someone decided to fire up the Ampex 300 and make a magnetic backup as well. I'm grateful. Wonderful CD, and great background information. Thanks.
pjdicris
bugler
bugler

Post by pjdicris »

I hate to resurrect a 10-year old thread but...

Has anyone gotten a hold on this recently? If so, where? Thank you!
Miraphone 188
Wessex Berg
M.O. 33P
Sellmansberger Solo and Symphony (3 piece)
TWScott283
bugler
bugler

Post by TWScott283 »

Would anyone possibly be able to upload a copy of the program, and the recording?

Sorry to uproot this thread (again).

edit: I am assuming it is no longer possible to order these through the original post.
groovlow
bugler
bugler

Post by groovlow »