WTB: Eb or CC Cimbasso, or Cerveny Piggy

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
WBTubaKid
lurker
lurker

WTB: Eb or CC Cimbasso, or Cerveny Piggy

Post by WBTubaKid »

Good day, tuba family!

I'll try to keep this short, especially since I don't post often. I don't have a huge budget to work with, so I'll get that out of the way right now. But what I'm looking for is a used (but playable) Eb or CC cimbasso, or a CBB/CCB Cerveny Piggy. I've looked as far back as I can using the search feature, and every Piggy ever posted sells almost as quickly as it's posted. I'm not picky if it's the CC or BBb model. As for a cimbasso, as an alternative for using a Piggy, I'm just looking for something in the classic cimbasso style (not the handy, compact models). I already have a nice bass tuba, but I'm wanting another horn for larger ensembles, various styles of chamber groups, and solo work with my piano instructor.

I've posted this similar question, in less detail, on Facebook. And over the past month and a half, I've asked several close friends in the tuba field about advice on getting a new tuba, and I've come to the conclusion that I want a horn that makes me happy and that I'm comfortable with. I feel that these aforementioned horns fit the bill, so to speak.

I appreciate any advice or leads to finding one of these horns. Thank you all so much.

--Chris
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Re: WTB: Eb or CC Cimbasso, or Cerveny Piggy

Post by tylerferris1213 »

Hi! There is a huge selection of good horns out there to pick from. Piggy's are nice, but have you considered anything else? Also, a cimbasso is not quite an alternative to a piggy. Being a valved bass/contrabass trombone, they are ideal for opera, jazz groups who don't have a bass trombone, and for pops concerts. Your bass tuba should fit the bill for solo work. From what you're saying, it sounds like you would be happiest with a good 4/4 or 5/4 tuba. If you broaden your search and tell us what your price range is, you should have no problem finding a good horn within your price range.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
WBTubaKid
lurker
lurker

Post by WBTubaKid »

Hi, Tyler! Thanks for the response!

My budget is around the $3000 range, at max. I have thought about bigger 4/4 and 5/4 horns, and I really would like a nice big BBb tuba. That fits my playing style and ensembles well. But there are some things I play in orchestra that I feel would just do better on a CC, and I have to start thinking ahead for grad school. I understand that they might like to see competency on C more so than on just Bb. The Piggy is the only CC tuba that I've loved to play and had a connection with. All that being said, and passion for Cerveny horns aside, I'm also a composer/arranger (and newer to the jazz/solo scene), so I want to be able to take cimbasso to a new level. At least in my area. It doesn't have to be limited to just opera or jazz or pops concerts.

I did notice a King 1241, a couple actually, up for auction on YouTube, and a BBb bass with interchangeable bells actually fits my contrabass needs to a 'T'. At least right now in my life. I don't have the funds yet, it's all school money being allocated and hasn't been released to me, but I definitely don't want to squander the small amount of money that it is. But I still want to get the most for my money.

I hope this helps answer some questions, and I'm of course open to answer or discuss more.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

If you're looking at getting a King, get one from Dan Shultz (TubaTinker on here). He always has several available. He does very fine repair work. His are usually at or under $2,000.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
WBTubaKid
lurker
lurker

Post by WBTubaKid »

Thank you for the information on some good King tubas, and while I would appreciate a good one with a recording bell, I'm primarily looking for a cimbasso or Piggy tuba first or foremost.