Rare Sander (not Sanders) CC SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Rare Sander (not Sanders) CC SOLD

Post by Sam Gnagey »

I originally listed this horn about 3 years ago but withdrew it because the valve bearings were loose and the horn was leaking. I swedged the bearings. Now the horn is playing closer to its potential and ready to go. This is the CC model tuba that August Helleberg and his sons played before switching to Conn instruments in the early 20th century. Sander tubas were also used by Sammy Greene in the Cincinnati Symphony and Herb Wekselblat (BBb) in the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. It is stamped on the bell "SANDER A WOLFSTEIN". I acquired it about 7 years ago from the heirs of an amateur tubist in the Cleveland area. The bore is .787", bell diameter is 18". The 4th valve is pitched at 2 whole-steps (2+3 combination) which makes playing it a bit unusual, but this is common on the Sander horns. The tuba is in pretty much original condition with less than expected dents and dings for an instrument that's about 100 years old or more. This is a rather rare, historic horn that I'm sure any new owner will appreciate and treasure for its fine craftsmanship and extraordinary provenance as well as the fun and challenge of playing it. Asking $3000 plus shipping. Contact me via PM or email if interested. Was $2500. Now reduced to $1900 plus shipping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sam Gnagey on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Sander(not Sanders) CC tuba

Post by Sam Gnagey »

bloke wrote:That's a very cool tuba. That crook on the main slide appears to be a width that - were those two 90 degree elbows removed - would line right up with those two main slide tubes.

Do you suspect that this was originally a "high pitch" tuba?

< BUMP !!! >
All the Sander tubas I've seen have the same crook on the main slide. I don't think they'd align.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Sander(not Sanders) CC tuba

Post by bort »

How does it play/sound? Like a rotary tuba or a piston tuba?

There was a time not very long ago that I would seriously want this tuba, but honestly think this ship might have already sailed for me. Will sleep on it. :tuba:
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Rare Sander (not Sanders) CC tuba

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Bump
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Rare Sander (not Sanders) CC relisted w/Photos

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Bump for added photos.
It plays and sounds like a rather dark German rotary tuba.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Very cool tuba, Sam!

Hard to believe that was over 2 years ago you posted this. Not personally interested anymore, but I'm sure it'll make someone else happy! :tuba:
jeopardymaster
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jeopardymaster »

I think I recognize it. Or else it is the same model as Sam Green's backup Sander. He offered to sell it to me but I passed, so David Freedy bought it, and then I think he sold it many years later to someone in Cleveland when he bought his Willson. I could be wrong. Played like a champ, but the one thing I didn't like was that open c (second space from the bottom in the bass clef staff) was out of tune, which drove b natural a bit out as well (though less so, I was surprised to learn). Except now I can't remember if it was flat or sharp.
Gnagey CC, VMI Neptune 4098 CC, Mirafone 184-5U CC and 56 Bb, Besson 983 EEb and euphonium, King marching baritone, Alexander 163 BBb, Conn 71H/112H bass trombone, Olds Recording tenor trombone.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Bump
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Hey Sam,
Would you mind posting a picture of this horn beside one of your creations for scale? The only Sander tubas I have actually seen/played were Sam Green’s very, very compact horns. I’m pretty sure yours has, at least, a much larger bell, but I think it may be a larger overall horn.

Thanks,
Bump,
T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Rare Sander (not Sanders) CC Price drop

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Bump for price reduction to $2500.
Sam Gnagey
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Rare Sander (not Sanders) CC Price drop

Post by Sam Gnagey »

Another price reduction on this tuba. Now $1900 plus shipping. Only USA