Got a spare quarter million??

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Got a spare quarter million??

Post by MartyNeilan »

This is an exciting piece of history, but I wonder if anone will pony up the dough...
http://www.dillonmusic.com/Arthur_pryor ... ombone.htm
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
Louis
bugler
bugler

Post by Louis »

My goodness, what a neat thing!

Wouldn't you love to hear Joseph Alessi or someone like that pick that thing up - same mouthpiece and all - and play some of those old solos from the Sousa Band era? How cool would that be?

Louis
Shockwave
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Shockwave »

Are there any recordings of Arthur Pryor? I've heard a recording of Herbert L. Clarke but not Pryor.

-Eric
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

bloke wrote: Allen Ostrander's son brought in his (deceased) Dad's gold plated Vega trombone and asked me to "polish it up so he could make it into a lamp".
I didn't know Vega made trombones. I have a heavily engraved Vega trumpet from the teens or twenties which looks like it might have been gold plated at one time.
Strange that Ostrander would have an obscure brand trombone, much less a gold plated one.
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

bloke wrote:
Wouldn't you love to hear Joseph Alessi or someone like that pick that thing up - same mouthpiece and all - and play some of those old solos from the Sousa Band era? How cool would that be?
It would indeed be cool...

...It would probably also be quite shrill and strident to your ears...and likely very hard work for Mr. Alessi.
Maybe not as shrill as you think. I have some trombones from the teens to twenties and it is remarkably easy to get a dark, full sound on them, even though some have bore sizes in the .450 range. Maybe its the famous "brass alloy that doesn't exist any more" that everyone always talks about in vintage Conn and York tubas.
I think very soon we will see "period" performances of Pryor's music and maybe even later trombone solo literature performed on these smaller instruments.
Louis
bugler
bugler

Post by Louis »

LV wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Are there any recordings of Arthur Pryor? I've heard a recording of Herbert L. Clarke but not Pryor.

-Eric
Yes!

I wonder when the picture on that album cover is from - it doesn't look like the horn he's holding is the same as the one for sale (unless there are two tuning slides - one high pitch and one low).

Louis
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Notice it only says “Made for Arthur Pryor by Jake Burke, 1894â€
Louis
bugler
bugler

Post by Louis »

[quote="windshieldbug"]Notice it only says “Made for Arthur Pryor by Jake Burke, 1894â€
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Yes, it's a Conn, 1907, gold, jeweled, purportedly made for Mantia, while he was with Pryor. It's a double-belled baritone as opposed to a double-belled euphonium. And I have less provinence than the trombone. I was just trying to be funny (and not being very successful, it seems) :oops:
And the Baritone, like the trombone in the album cover shown in this thread, was built to A=435, not high pitch.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?