REDUCED (prototype) John Packer copy of gold-brass 191 BBb Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

REDUCED (prototype) John Packer copy of gold-brass 191 BBb

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:28 pm

This is an extraordinarily high-grade reference of the model 191 BBb tuba in 80:20 alloy gold brass.
The intonation is great, and the response makes me giggle a little bit (very "Thor-like").

It's a prototype that has been sitting in the JP warehouse for a couple of years.
Seemingly, it's a model that is on mothballs which might (??) be put into production at a later date
(at least, we can hope...).

The weight is only a little bit over 22 lbs. When sighting down the bows (rather than looking straight-on at the instrument), one can detect very subtle ripples - so its definitely a prototype instrument.

The rotors are typical top-grade John Packer quality with large genuine Minibal links, solid nickel silver paddles, and hardware, so think "a Miraphone-style tuba with B&S-style rotors and linkage"...and yeah, the rotor caps feature that very cool JP engraving.

As I've stated here before, I'm not a "collector" and already own enough regularly-used-to-earn-money tubas that Mrs. bloke's eyebrows raise... but this is one of those tubas that - when sold - will make me sigh a little bit (a really great tuba).

FULL DISCLOSURE:
Being a prototype, the tuba (for me) is barely too long (plays just below A=440 - warmed-up, and with the slide all the way in). I have no intention of selling anyone a tuba with this issue, so before shipping it off to its new home (and included in the price) I will make this tuba about 2-1/2" shorter, so that (at least, for me...) it will end up playing at A=440 with about a 5/8" main slide pull. There are at least two places where I can easily remove length ~WITHOUT~ shortening the main tuning slide's slide tubes. :arrow: I will also polish up my work areas, and touch up the lacquer.

The hard case is similar to other zipper JP cases...somewhat heavier/sturdier than other Chinese zipper cases. Having sat in the warehouse for a couple of years, the case exterior is a little bit dusty, and I will do my very best to send it out to its new owner looking very clean and nice.

The price (plus any shipping cost) is [EDIT] $4195. JP will offer their regular warranty on this instrument.
There's no mouthpiece included with this instrument (as - being a prototype - it was never "set up" with mouthpiece/oil/papers). It surely place nicely, though, with my own Sellmansberger "Symphony" model cup and Symphony model back-bore (with either the standard or Profundo-height rim).

If you're looking for an in-tune BBb 5/4 large bore powerhouse that doesn't cost a huge amount of money, is new (and made of beautiful 80:20 gold brass and nickel silver), maybe this is the tuba for you...(??)

ImageImage

PICTURES: I TOOK THEM TOO LATE IN THE DAY...NOT ENOUGH LIGHT...THUS THE GRAININESS...SO I WILL RE-TAKE THEM.
Last edited by bloke on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: new (prototype) John Packer copy of gold-brass 191 BBb

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 pm

pictures replaced.
hopefully they're better.
bloke

Postby pecktime » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Beautiful tuba! :tuba:
MW 3450 Yamaha 621cc
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 am

Well... this would be a good time to have $4500.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:35 am

I'm bumping to reduce the price to $4195.
There will be no further price reductions.
a magnificent instrument - Asian pricing / German quality rotors and linkage

For those who aren't familiar with the 191 profile tuba...
This is very much a "piggy"-style instrument
- very large bore
- big 18-1/2" bell
- yet: only three feet tall

EXCELLENT intonation !
bloke

Re: REDUCED (prototype) John Packer copy of gold-brass 191 B

Postby bloke » Tue May 16, 2017 3:18 pm

for price comparison...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miraphone-S191-Series-4-Valve-BBb-Tuba-with-Hard-Case-/162516862340

:arrow: Think of "a very high-grade gold brass 191-style tuba with B&S-style rotors, paddles, genuine Minibal links", and an included case.
bloke

Return to For Sale by Owner