Beckner Aine Bb 9-key Ophicleide 3200 USD$ Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

Beckner Aine Bb 9-key Ophicleide 3200 USD$

Postby PMeuph » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:15 am

Beckner Aine Bb 9-key Ophicleide.

3200 USD$ shipped to Canada or the CONUS

I purchased this ophicleide 7 years ago. At the time, I was hoping to have a local repairman try his hand at ‘restoring’ it, but that never happened for whatever reasons. 3 years ago, I decided to send it to Dan Schultz and he performed a ‘play-condition’ on it.

He fabricated a new branch, rolled out some dents but some patches, made ket from and old sax key, added new springs and pads. Basically, he made a metal sculpture into a playing instrument.

So, how does it play? It’s hard for me to say as this is the only ophicleide I’ve ever played, and truthfully I haven’t put nearly enough time in it to get a really good sense of it’s capable of doing.

The sound is nice and clear in the open pitches, but obviously needs more work on other pitches. The tuning isn’t perfect but I can get it to play 440. Some notes have to be lipped in place.

Why am I selling: I’ve had this for three years and it hasn’t been used much, I’ve played it for a total of 1 hour in that time.

Comes without a mouthpiece, I’ve just used the euph mouthpiece I have on it.
I have a bag for it, although, it’s not a great bag. It’s a canvas drawstring sleeve that goes over a cardboard cylinder (used to pour cement footings) with a cap at the bottom. It’s loosely inspired by the plans on the serpent website. I’m willing to throw in the bag, but I think the cylinder will do more harm than it will help as it won’t withstand the travel.

Located in Montreal, Canada. Willing to drive up to 6 hours if the destination is interesting enough! (i.e Boston, NYC, Toronto)

More pictures forthcoming, for the moment check out the ones on Dan Schultz' webpage:
http://www.thevillagetinker.com/Misc%20stuff.htm
(Scroll down to `Play conditioning an ophicleide`)
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Return to For Sale by Owner