1880 Boston BBb Tuba Sold

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Heliconer
bugler
bugler

1880 Boston BBb Tuba Sold

Post by Heliconer »

The time has come for me to part with my beloved Boston Instrument Manufactury BBb Tuba.

Boston first advertised these horns in 1886, this particular horn is pre serial number, making it the Oldest known American Made BBb Tuba known to exist currently. This was owned by the famed repairman Robb Stewart prior to me. An extensive write-up about this horn can be found on his website.

It is a real player! Valves are smooth, and have compression. I freed up the tuning slides (with the exception of one of the 3rd valve slides). Horn does have some dents throughout, and the valve section is slightly shifted I'm places, but the condition has been maintained because of its historical significance.

This is a horn for a true collector and enthusiast. There is enough pull on all of the slides to play it in modern pitch. Takes a small shank mouthpiece, will include the DW in the photos.

I am asking $2000 OBO for this piece of American Tuba History.

Pics: Boston Tuba https://imgur.com/gallery/x9uMG" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

(Baritone is just for size reference, but is also available to anyone interested)
Last edited by Heliconer on Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
A bunch of metal fart noise machines
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: 1880 Boston BBb Tuba

Post by bisontuba »

I talk about these tubas in my presentation THE EARLY AMERICAN TUBA ( next up...a week from today at NERTEC).and yes, most likely these were the first American made BBb tubas....truly a RARE instrument AND a rare chance to obtain one!!!!!
Mark
sactubaguy59
bugler
bugler

Post by sactubaguy59 »

I didn't think you would ever sell this one. It's another one of a kind. Good luck! :cry: :roll: :(
1951 #2341 4 valve King with Holton Bell
2006 Miraphone #282
1960 Conn 14k 4 valve Bb standard bell or helicon bell option
Franken Helicon Conn 20k valves; Mammoth body; Miraphone bell
King fiberglass sousie with brass bell.
Conn24J
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Very cool! Those are some fat bows!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tom Coffey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Tom Coffey »

I am a but surprised at how similar this horn looks to modern instruments. Very cool to see these pictures!