Double Bell Euphonium - testing the water

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Brshupe
lurker
lurker

Double Bell Euphonium - testing the water

Post by Brshupe »

I have a CG Conn Double Bell Euphonium to offer up to a good home. I am more of a trombone player and it's sad to let this sit and collec dust. I just had the horn serviced. All water keys are lined up, springs and pads are good. All slides move smooth. Valves are fast. The finish is brushed silver with bright brass in the bells. There is some minor wear and repair work. The small bell is post production. I believe the original would pivot and this one is fixed. The large bell is removeable. The horn serial number is 266387. It is a model 601 manufactured in 1929. It is a five valve horn that plays and sounds great. The large bell is warm and mellow with the smaller bell being very reminiscent of a small bore tenor trombone. The horn does not have a case but has a really nice gig bag. I really want to see this end up in a place where it will be loved and cared for. It is a great piece of history. Please feel free to contact me privately via email if interested. Bryce Shupe brshupe@yahoo.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank Thanks for any interest.
https://imgur.com/gallery/SydaH" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by Brshupe on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brshupe
lurker
lurker

Re: Double Bell Euphonium - testing the water

Post by Brshupe »

Thank you. The horn is located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Asking 5k. I tried to post pics but was not able to.
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

Welcome!

Common practice this day seems to be to host photos on an external service such as photobucket, imgur, or a public Google Drive folder, and then simply post a link to the photo gallery.

Good luck with the sale!
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
Brshupe
lurker
lurker

Post by Brshupe »

I edited the original post and attached a link to photos. Thank you all for your patience, understanding and help
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

These are not that rare. Your price is about twice what the high end of what these go for. eBay is the best place to sell it. There are some international collectors who may pay more. Double bells are all hand made. Some are good but a far percentage do not play well. Expect a buyer to want to test it before purchasing it.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Brshupe
lurker
lurker

Post by Brshupe »

I have. They can be had anywhere from around 3k up to 10k for this specific horn. Some DB euphoniums can be found for quite a bit less. I have not found that to be true with the 601. It obviously depends on condition and the market. A friend of mine who professionally plays bass trombone told me not to take less than 5k for it and the shop that just serviced it agreed. I gave slightly less for it about 10 years ago and it's condition is the same if not a bit better than when I got it. I was in the market, and still am, for a tenor OTS. Ain't found one of those yet I can afford.
Brshupe
lurker
lurker

Post by Brshupe »

opus37 wrote:These are not that rare. Your price is about twice what the high end of what these go for. eBay is the best place to sell it. There are some international collectors who may pay more. Double bells are all hand made. Some are good but a far percentage do not play well. Expect a buyer to want to test it before purchasing it.
Sure there are DBs out there and with a huge range in cost too. If you think this model is common then show me. I have researched it pretty heavily and found that not to be true. As far as playing well, it does and if I can find a way to post a video illustrating tone quality and valve speed I will. If possible I would also encourage any prospective buyer to play it. That said I was just checking potential interest because it does deserve a good home. Here with me it just sits only to be hauled out to be serviced once a year. If there is no interest that is okay. I can hang onto it. No biggie.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

post deleted.
Last edited by Rick F on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Baltimore Brass frequently has more than one for sale on their site for comparison...
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

KiltieTuba wrote:
lost wrote:I'd encourage better etiquette. PM/email is a great way to share suggestions/disagreements in private, and not on someone's for sale thread meant to sell something.
This isn't a "for sale" post. The OP is "testing the waters" to see if there is interest in purchasing an overpriced/outdated instrument that doesn't get used as it is.
Thank you! I did not take this as a for sale ad, I took it as a request for opinion. This "seller" may have intended it to be a for sale item, but that was not clear to me. I provided an honest assessment of his possibility for sale at $5000. I did suggest his best location for that sale and what to expect from a potential buyer. He obviously took offense. He may sell this for his asking price, but I think the community of potential buyers to be very small, at his price point. Since I had one of these instruments and recently sold it, I do have some experience on this topic, which I shared.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5