Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb 4 valves $5750 SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Glaucon
bugler
bugler

Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb 4 valves $5750 SOLD

Post by Glaucon »

Hello all,

I, with a heavy heart, put up for sale my Rudolph Meinl 5/4 BBb with 4 rotary valves.

I purchased this instrument from Lee Stofer a little over a year ago; I went just to try it out, but the sound really struck me and I couldn't leave without it. I had a big couple of seasons of rep that this horn was perfect for. I also bought a Schilpf practice mute for it so the horn could stay at home and I could practice lip slurs on the biggest horn possible.

I'm selling it because I haven't used it as much as I've hoped, owing largely to the fact that most of my time 'practicing' it ends up with me waiting for my head to clear from hyperventilation. The bore on this thing is ridiculous, and I think you could roll a dime through the valve block.

The tone will leave you drunk and in love. As one of my colleagues said after hearing this horn: "why do tuba players play CC again?" Intonation is easily managed, and requires no finger karate. False tones are shockingly resonant for when valves run out. I've gotten paid to play Shostakovich 5, Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet, and a couple tuba-heavy pops shows on this horn (maybe a little more tuba-heavy than the audience expected, to be quite honest), and received nothing but compliments from other brass players of various persuasions.

Horn is priced at $5750 so I can sell it before I regret it. This is the perfect BBb for an orchestral (or aspiring orchestral) player who wants to add a big horn on the bottom of the stable for huge rep; that said, I think it would be quite at home in any local ensemble, and your collegues would be suitably impressed/terrified when you showed up with this monster. The tuba lives in Kent, OH; that said, it's easy to drive the horn anywhere around Northeast Ohio. Sale includes a good-fitting hard case and the previously-mentioned Schilpf practice mute. I'm not big on trial periods, but come to NEO and I'll get a big, good room at one of the schools I teach at -- you'll be able to get a great idea of what the horn can and can't do (spoiler: it's amazing, it can do anything).

Link for pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/AhKiB" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
There has been some bell damage that has been rolled out -- I'll try to take some better pictures to show that, but it needs special effort/lighting. Other pictures can be taken on request.

Thanks for your time and for looking. Horn has been SOLD. Thank you all for your interest.

Ken Heinlein
Assistant Professor of Tuba, Kent State University
Lecturer in Tuba and Euphonium, Baldwin Wallace Wallace University
Principal Tuba, Akron Symphony and Erie Philharmonic Orchestras
Last edited by Glaucon on Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Rudy Meinl 5/4 BBb 4 valves $5750

Post by tmz1m »

PM sent. Would love to see a close-up of the bell. Any idea of age/vintage?
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Post by Will Jones »

Really jealous of whomever gets this horn.
Virtuoso
bugler
bugler

Post by Virtuoso »

PM sent.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Awesome tubas. I even have the same case!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

I've played this horn. It's every bit as good as the seller says it is. If I was looking for a big BBb, I would totally snatch this up. Good luck with the sale!
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron