Yamaha 822S 5V CC 4+1 for Sale

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Yamaha 822S 5V CC 4+1 for Sale

Post by Mark Horne »

I have taken my Yamaha 822S CC tuba (4P + 1R) to Noah's Brass Ark for a consignment sale http://www.brassark.com/sale/" target="_blank

It is a pre-production version so it lacks the bell engraving but does have a serial number. The upper and lower bows appear to me to be hand-hammered. This instrument is very much in the old York 4/4 style with a 19.5" bell. The sound is distinctly American with an overall velvety quality but plenty of color when listening up close. I was especially pleased with the even-ness and intonation of the very solid range around low E-F-G. Compared to the similar Miraphone 1291, I found the Yamaha to be a bit less open in the middle of the staff but more even in volume from the bottom to the top of the range. Intonation was very manageable for me without pulling slides. It has factory Yamaha piston springs but I can confirm that it works well with Yamaha euphonium springs for a lighter and quick action.

Located in the Los Angeles area this silver-plated version is priced at $5700.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Yamaha 822S 5V CC 4+1 for Sale

Post by bort »

Nice looking tuba! Not my style, but you can't go go wrong at all for that price. College kids who "need a CC" should give this a close look!

Back in college, a very good friend of mine played one of these. He is a far better player than me, and even as a college freshman he was probably better than I am now. Always sounded fantastic on that tuba.
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Re: Yamaha 822S 5V CC 4+1 for Sale

Post by Mark Horne »

This horn is still available. If you prefer pistons, and would like a sound that stands apart from the ubiquitous "186" sound, this may be the one for you. Sadly, there are not that many Kanstul S90 tubas out there for people to try. I find this Yamaha has a very similar sound profile but with better ergonomics (for me). Definitely worth checking out.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V