Conn 20J/21J SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Conn 20J/21J SOLD

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Update: Horn has been sold

With the acquisition of my Marin Mammoth, I no longer Need two top-action, bell-front, American BBb BATs around the house, so, regrettably, I must let the 20J go. I swore I'd never sell it. but that was before I'd ever played a Martin.

The 20J/21J includes:
-A 24" upright bell with newer-style Conn case. The upright bell is not original to the horn and was purchased from Baltimore Brass in 2016. The bell has all of its original lacquer, but has apparently had some dents in the past, as there is evidence of dents being rolled out on it, as well as several patches around the bell flare.
-A 24" Recording bell with older-style Conn case. The recording bell is also not original to the horn and is silver plated, complete with the elaborate Conn 'Naked Lady' engraving. I think this is the coolest part of the horn.
-The original hard case for the body which has been freshly coated in Gorilla Tape (except for the spots with the stickers) to add some stability to the outside. I've also added new wheels to the case to replace the smaller plastic original wheels.
-One Conn Tuning bit

The horn is in very good playing condition, but poor cosmetic condition. It is functionally fine, with all of the valves and slides operating smoothly and no major dents, but in terms of appearance it is ugly. Most of the original lacquer on the body is gone and the bells do not match, but that does not change the fact that if plays great and can fill any room with it's powerful sound.

I purchased this horn from Lee Stofer in July of 2016 and it was professionally play-conditioned and cleaned before the purchase. Attached are the photos that Lee took of the horn before selling it to me. The horn is essentially in the same condition now. Not pictured is the upright bell or the modifications I made to the case (Gorilla tape and new wheels) If you'd like pictures of either, I can take some and post them as well.

I would prefer not to ship because that would entail shipping three very heavy components to the buyer, so for now I am only considering those willing to pick it up locally. I am located in Urbana, Illinois and would be willing to drive within a resonable distance to meet someone.

Pictures:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4BA8 ... U83a2F5bTg" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm asking $2000 but am open to offers. If interested, PM me or email me at sousaphone9@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

EDIT: Now open to offers for selling just the bells/body/etc.
Last edited by SousaWarrior9 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Conn 20J/21J

Post by The Big Ben »

That horn looks pretty good- not ugly. The audience can see the shiny silver bell over top of the whole band. Hope it sells.
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Post by edsel585960 »

It's not ugly at all. Just has a mismatched bell (which looks nice by the way). I just sold a "fugly"20J myself. If I still lived outside Springfield I'd be all over your horn. :)
Conn 20-21 J
Conn 10J, Conn 26 K, Martin Mammoth, Mirafone 186, Soviet Helicon, Holton Raincatcher Sousaphone, Yamaha 103, King 1240.
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Thanks for the kind words.
Pictures up the upright bell and its case have been added, as well as a newer picture of the body case showing the gorilla tape.
Although I'd still prefer a local deal, I may be open to shipping at the buyer's expense if someone really wants the horn but is not near here.
I also may start considering selling parts individually, as I have already gotten a few offers on the bell. If I decide to do this, I will edit the original post to reflect that.

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

lost wrote:I don't see the new pics. Also have you considered selling the recording bell separately?
The link has not changed and it is to the same folder on google drive with all of the original pictures, however, I have added additional photos to that folder, Inducing three pictures of the upright bell, one picture of the upright bell case and one more recent picture of the body case. If these pictures aren't showing up for some reason, please let me know so I can try and do something about it.
As for selling just the bell, I have already had a couple of offers for it, and I haven't made a final decision just yet as to whether I want to sell it separately. If I do, I'll update the ad to reflect that. If I do, I'd still prefer to deal with those within driving distance if possible.