Late 1970's vintage Handmade Pre-PT-8 small bore F tuba SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Late 1970's vintage Handmade Pre-PT-8 small bore F tuba SOLD

Post by ckalaher1 »

I've found myself in the situation of having 2 very, very premium quality F tubas under one roof, which neither my skills nor my pocketbook can make the case for. After having a chance to put both tubas through their paces during my trail period, I've decided that the other F is a better fit for me.

This is a very high quality F tuba that I acquired roughly 6 months ago from Tom McGrady of Mack Brass (it was Tom's personal tuba for many years). Since then, I've used this tuba on several occasions in quintet playing and in orchestras (both large and small). I've had the chance to compare it to newer PT models (both 10's and 15's), and felt that it compared favorably, if not VERY favorably.

A few thoughts on this tuba:
-instrument is very light and has handmade larger bows, bell, and throat.
-very, very rich, dark sound when compared to the PT 10's and 15's that I played it against.
-surprisingly easy low register.
-singing quality above the staff like other comparable handmade rotary F tubas.
-slightly better intonation than the tuba I'm keeping. 2nd space C runs sharp, as does the Bb and A directly below it. Slots are wide and lipping works fine. Not much slide pulling needed, if any. Open octaves line up nicely.
-the tuba is in raw brass. Repairs have been made, but as can be seen in the photos, the tuba is in very fine cosmetic condition considering its age.
-valve action is terrific. The linkage has been updated.
-I've used a PT-64 (or old PT-9) mouthpiece that works well.
-this is the model that would eventually be called PT-8. It has different bore sizes through all 5 valves, 17-21 mm, very similar to the well regarded "Symphonie" model.
-the bell has the B&S logo and is stamped C.M.C. under it, for "Custom Music Company".

Included in the sale is a cordura Crokhite bag. The tuba is located in Southern Illinois, about 15 minutes East of downtown St. Louis, Missouri. Forms of acceptable payment include Paypal, check, bank check, or money order. Checks of any kind will have to clear before shipment is made. My preference for shipping is Fed Ex. Cost of shipping can be determined at the point of sale, depending on zip code. For both parties protection, I'll send photos of the packing process.

I can send you links to recordings of the tuba on request.

Here's a link to the original sales thread where some people shared their thought on this tuba: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75339&p=604308&hilit=PT8#p604308" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Asking price: $6000.

Photos to follow. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by ckalaher1 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Late 1970's vintage Handmade Pre-PT-8 small bore F tuba

Post by ckalaher1 »

MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

This is way too cheap for this horn as its one of the best i have owned or played. I only sold it because i had two of them. Also, this particular model is rarely seen. The body is hand made and more importantly the bell is a one piece bell, no wedge, only 1 seam all the way down the side, craftsmanship that you dont see today.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Several very interested tire kickers, but at the moment, the tuba is still available.

Weekly bump.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Bump.

Lots of interest, but nobody has come to give it a spin yet.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Bump.

Come out and give it a try. I'm open to offers that are reasonable.

Horn will hang out here for maybe another month, then it'll go to Baltimore on consignment.
portoghi
lurker
lurker

Post by portoghi »

I am very interested in your horn. Would you be willing to work with me to arrange a time and place to meet so I can try it out before buying it? I live in Wisconsin. Let me know so I can give you my contact Info. Thanks
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Several very interested parties in the past 10 days, but due to scheduling conflicts, the horn is still available.

Bump.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

This tuba was sold to a very fine student this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest.