(SOLD) 1913 York Helicon CC & Eb 4 valves - Harv Hartman

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

(SOLD) 1913 York Helicon CC & Eb 4 valves - Harv Hartman

Post by Ltrain »

If you've seen any of my previous posts, I'm as surprised to be listing this as you are reading it. I suppose you could call this ad a "feeler" as I'm currently weighing my options and budget. I've been on a bit of a horn buying spree lately trying to acquire a "wearable" CC companion to my Eastman 632 for use in my street brass band and my new pop gig. (The sousa I'm selling in another ad is simply the result of needing 4 valves for the repertoire I'm playing).

This (originally 3v Eb) helicon, stamped serial 36779 is circa 1913 according to HornUCopia. Except for Harvey Hartman's 4th valve addition (from an old King) and his *modular* plumbing to put the horn in CC (convertible to Eb just by swapping some slides around!), the horn's original form is all there (with the exception of possible rebuilt lead pipe by Harvey). I bought the horn directly from the original owner (since Harvey began his work on the instrument) who sold this to me due to retirement/personal reasons. It was a great buying experience from a fellow Tube-netter and LONG-time active member of the low brass community. A lot of great stories about Harvey and York History came with the sale of this horn. I couln't say no!

This is precisely why I'm at an impasse...

*Due to my 6'1"/slender stature, I find the ergonomics challenging. I would need to invest a bit of money into building a new gooseneck, etc to get this horn up to meet my stature without compromising pitch.
*Unsurpisingly, the horn plays GREAT in Eb, but "okay" in CC. Per my needs outlined above, this horn would be better in the hands of a good Eb player who wants the CC option. It would even be a worthwhile project to fine tune it as an Eb-only horn. Don't get me wrong, the CC side is impressive. This is perhaps the only known example of a "successfully" lengthened Eb horn,
*Cutting it to F-only has also crossed my mind, but it feels sacrilegious...

Not only am I not in a good financial position to put any more money into modifying the horn further, I don't feel right disrupting Harvey's legacy. This horn deserves to be in the hands of someone who knew Harvey's work and/or a York collector who values a mostly-complete 102 year old instrument (rough guess puts the silver plating at about 80-ish%, but I'll have a better idea—with photos—after I polish her this week).

After a going back and forth about this all weekend, I want to see if there might be a better home for this horn than what I can provide. Out of respect to the previous owner who gave me a HELLUVA deal, I'm not looking to get any more for the horn than what I paid + spent on service (4th valve realigned, gooseneck refitted in receiver, and soldering touched up) — $1450 OBO. My trade needs are probably too specific to bother listing, but you can PM me.

Due to it being, well, a helicon (AKA awkward) I really prefer local pickup in the Brooklyn/NYC area. However, I do have the original shipping carton and I can provide a shipping quote. PM me and I'll be happy to set up a phone call, play test, or whatever you need.

Pictures posted are the same ones provided to me pre-sale (nothing's changed). I'll post more after I shine her up this week. The current tarnish doesn't do the beautiful engraving and fine work by Harvey justice. Note the photo doesn't include the modular 4th valve slide attachment (see video below).

Also for your pleasure:
Harvey's orginal eBay listing with complete & honest specs (chalk full of personality, and type-os!): http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/130555260164? ... SS:US:1123" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Original YouTube demos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTKPHuC-kf0" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank (CC) / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RBBPcJYGvw" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank (Eb)

Here's a chance to grab a piece of history for almost nothing. If I didn't live in a tiny apartment (with lovingly hard to convince wife), I might not be selling it. This storied horn needs a good home! PM me!
Last edited by Ltrain on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Re: 1913 York Helicon CC & Eb 4 valves - Harv Hartman's crea

Post by Ltrain »

So much for a feeler... possible sale pending!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
tubadewey
lurker
lurker

Post by tubadewey »

I am interested if your deal falls through
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

SOLD. Perhaps a TubeNet record?

Harv was a great guy as I've come to learn, and this horn is going to a great home. Off to AR!
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------