Sold - Rotary VMI Neptune for Sale in Cleveland

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
JasonBaker
lurker
lurker

Sold - Rotary VMI Neptune for Sale in Cleveland

Post by JasonBaker »

Price: $8,000
Brand: VMI
Model: 4098 - Mel Culbertson Neptune
Type of Tuba: 5 valve 6/4 CC tuba

History
I purchased this horn new in early 2001 from Woodwind and Brasswind. I played it daily from early 2001 until 2005 and I only played it sporadically after that point. During the time when I was not playing regularly, I always made sure to take it out a few times a year to oil the valves and make sure the valve slides still moved. Sadly, I don't have any intention of playing seriously again. I would like to get this horn to somebody that can still extract some utility or joy from it.

Condition
I have not made any modifications to the horn and It's in pretty good condition. I was pretty anal about maintaining this horn. The valves were oiled frequently when I was playing daily, and I always made sure to wipe it down when I was done playing for the day. There are no large dents but it does have few shallow dings from normal use. There was a crease in the bell that was repaired. You can still see some evidence of where it was repaired, but only if you are really trying to find it. All repair work was done by Chuck Ward in Chardon, Ohio (fixed sticky valves, chemical cleaning, etc.). The finish is still in good shape. The only place where there is any really obvious signs of wear are the thumb ring and the part of the valve levers that your fingers make contact.

Interesting Features
The leadpipe can be removed. The horn came with 2 leadpipes, but I lost the second leadpipe somewhere over the years. The second leadpipe did not actually fit the horn. The screw holes on the pipe did not line up with the mounting points on the horn. I never actually got to try to the second leadpipe since it would not fit without modification.

The second valve is vented and has a lever for the slide that allows you to adjust intonation on the fly. This came from the factory like this.

The valve levers have a nice engraved flower pattern where your fingers contact them. They also have the nice effect of hiding the fact that the finish is wearing away!

Fifth valve is a long whole step

Case
I'm including the wheeled hard shell case in the price. The case was made for the horn, but to be honest, it's pretty poor quality and has some damage. The main handle that lets you pick the case up off the ground fell apart a couple of years after I got it. I repaired it with hardware store parts to limp it along. There is a second handle on the case you can use to drag it by the wheels. At some point, the case started to crack where the dragging handle is attached. To be clear, I was always very careful with this horn and case, but the case handles pretty much disintegrated from normal use. The case will still keep the horn safe from dings while you are transporting it, but the handles are sketchy at best.

I would prefer to sell this in person since shipping this thing would be pretty expensive and I don’t want to risk damaging it. If you can make the trip to Cleveland, I’ll do my best to accommodate your schedule. If you are interested, send me a PM.
Last edited by JasonBaker on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Rotary VMI Neptune for Sale in Cleveland

Post by bort »

What a beauty! Do you know which of the two leadpipes you have installed?
JasonBaker
lurker
lurker

Post by JasonBaker »

Thanks Bort! I'd be lying if I said that the appearance and build quality of this horn didn't sway my decision making process back when I was choosing tubas. VMI/B&S did a nice job with this horn.

I hate to say it, I have no idea which leadpipe it is. There is a string of alphanumerics on it, 311729L. I'm not sure if that is a serial number or a part number for the pipe. If we are lucky, maybe a more knowledgeable Neptune owner can chime in and let us know.
Last edited by JasonBaker on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

Large leadpipe. The difference between the two isn't game changing. When I still had mine, I swapped the leadpipes a couple times "for kicks." I don't remember which I preferred.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Your Neptune also has the spit valves on top of the 3rd and 4th slides, like my Neptune did.

I wish I was able to keep mine longer, but it was completely impractical (did not fit in my car). Really wish I could have given it a proper year or so to put it through its paces. Your tuba is tempting, but I still have the same car... And now with even more kid stuff in it... So this still doesn't seem like the most practical idea!
JasonBaker
lurker
lurker

Post by JasonBaker »

TheHatTuba, Thanks for clearing up that mystery! Seriously. I never even noticed there was a model number on the leadpipe until this morning when I went to go check based on bort's question.

Bort, I know that feeling. I can still get the horn in my car, but the backseat is unusable at that point. I wouldn't mind keeping this horn around, but it's just taking up space. Also, I don't realistically see myself getting back in to playing any time soon. I'd rather see it get in to the hands of somebody that can use it.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

My Neptune is more responsive and just plays better using the bigger lead-pipe. To compensate a bit, I use the Stofer Geib which has a smaller than normal throat size. The combination of the two works well for me.
TubaDave15
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDave15 »

PM sent. :tuba:
JasonBaker
lurker
lurker

Post by JasonBaker »

barry grrr-ero wrote:My Neptune is more responsive and just plays better using the bigger lead-pipe. To compensate a bit, I use the Stofer Geib which has a smaller than normal throat size. The combination of the two works well for me.
Nice. I mostly used the B&S 52 mouthpiece that came with the horn or a PT-49. Those worked pretty well for me.
JasonBaker
lurker
lurker

Re: Sold - Rotary VMI Neptune for Sale in Cleveland

Post by JasonBaker »

The Neptune is sold. Thanks to everyone that expressed interest in it!