If you like Shostakovich and powerful horn playing...

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: If you like Shostakovich and powerful horn playing...

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Bloke, I don't think you meant to have this in the "for sale by owner" section. Regardless, it's a great brass section and the whole orchestra is really very strong in general. For my money (or lack thereof), they may be the best 'Germanic' sounding orchestra out there.

I'm sorry their recorded Mahler cycle came to end before Mahler 6 got issued. But there's already a really great Mahler 6 recording that comes from Pennsylvania: Christoph Eschenbach/Philadelphia Orchestra on the Ondine label.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

The more I have heard orchestras like Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Houston, Cincinnati, National, Atlanta, etc. the more I realized that there is no longer such a thing as the Big 5 in this country any more but more like the Big 25. They are qualitatively no worse than what used to be considered the Big 5.
Mark

Post by Mark »

doublebuzzing wrote:The more I have heard orchestras like Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Houston, Cincinnati, National, Atlanta, etc. the more I realized that there is no longer such a thing as the Big 5 in this country any more but more like the Big 25. They are qualitatively no worse than what used to be considered the Big 5.
The notion of the "Big 5" is clearly outdated. The LA Phil made it the "Big 6" many years ago and now there several more orchestras that fit in to the category of world class.

Although, for most brass players, Chicago is still number one. :wink:
TacoTacoTaco
bugler
bugler

Post by TacoTacoTaco »

bloke wrote:...Buy this c.d.
Yeah...My son-in-law is one of the horn players, and in not sure if he's back to playing 3rd, still playing assistant, or what...(??) Whatever he did on there, it's loud. :shock:

https://referencerecordings.com/recordi ... e-lossless
Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to purchasing this.
"Live every day like it's Taco Tuesday." - Unknown
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Mark wrote:
doublebuzzing wrote:The more I have heard orchestras like Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Houston, Cincinnati, National, Atlanta, etc. the more I realized that there is no longer such a thing as the Big 5 in this country any more but more like the Big 25. They are qualitatively no worse than what used to be considered the Big 5.
The notion of the "Big 5" is clearly outdated. The LA Phil made it the "Big 6" many years ago and now there several more orchestras that fit in to the category of world class.

I think since the retirement of Clevenger and Herseth the CSO is no longer where they once were in terms of brass playing. I find many other orchestras with comparable brass sections these days.
TacoTacoTaco
bugler
bugler

Post by TacoTacoTaco »

bloke wrote:...Buy this c.d.
Yeah...My son-in-law is one of the horn players, and in not sure if he's back to playing 3rd, still playing assistant, or what...(??) Whatever he did on there, it's loud. :shock:

https://referencerecordings.com/recordi ... e-lossless
Got it when it came out....WOW :D
"Live every day like it's Taco Tuesday." - Unknown
Shostytuben
bugler
bugler

Post by Shostytuben »

doublebuzzing wrote:
Mark wrote:

I think since the retirement of Clevenger and Herseth the CSO is no longer where they once were in terms of brass playing. I find many other orchestras with comparable brass sections these days.
You need to have your ears checked. That trombone and tuba is still the best in the business. No section comes close to the ease they play with and all those cats are old. They play with a very lushous sound that never spreads or bite. Unlike New York but that’s another story. Saying that because 2 people retired brought the level down of the group just shows how uneducated you are about how teamwork plays especially in settings like that. Those men you listed were considered the top in their time no doubt. Checkout the Bruckner 9 album they just put out and you might change your mind.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

:roll:

I used to think the same thing...and then I started expanding my horizons and listening to many other orchestras (lots of radio broadcasts) There is no objective way to say that A is the "best" or B is the "best" especially in this day and age when all the top orchestras are so homogeneous in their sound. I think you're buying into the Chicago brass mystique that was perhaps valid in the 50s, 60, and 70s. I defy you to listen on a regular basis to orchestras like Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Minnesota, and Houston (not to mention Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, etc) and tell me what they do inferior to the CSO. I'm not sure I'm the one who needs to be educated here. I did hear that Muti Bruckner 9, by the way, and I enjoyed it. Listen to the Bruckner 9 with Cincinnati and Lopez-Cobos--I enjoyed that even more.
Shostytuben
bugler
bugler

Post by Shostytuben »

I think you missed a point.