King 1241 BBb Tuba

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Carl Mercer
lurker
lurker

King 1241 BBb Tuba

Post by Carl Mercer »

I am considering selling my King 1241 BBb 4 valve tuba. It has the 22" upright bell.

However, I am unsure of the value. The condition is very good, must also f the dents have been removed and the lacquer stripped so it is now in raw brass. It plays very well.

Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by Carl Mercer on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Mercer
lurker
lurker

Re: King 1291 BBb Tuba

Post by Carl Mercer »

Thanks, that helps.
Tom Coffey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Tom Coffey »

Is that the rotory valve model?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

hrender wrote:"Value" really depends on the overall condition, especially of the valves. If it is in good, playable condition then asking price could be anywhere from $2K to $4K, possibly more if it were pristine and had the original cases. PIctures and location would also be necessary to follow posting rules.
OP says this is a King 1291 not a 1241. If the model number is correct and it has rotary valves, it should be worth significantly more.

https://simonettitubacollection.com/ins ... ding-tuba/" target="_blank
Carl Mercer
lurker
lurker

Re: King 1241 BBb Tuba

Post by Carl Mercer »

Sorry my mistake it's a1241
Last edited by Carl Mercer on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

This just went from an exciting rare tuba, to a run of the mill, solid, classic tuba.

Either way, it's a win win.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

hrender wrote:
The Big Ben wrote:
hrender wrote:"Value" really depends on the overall condition, especially of the valves. If it is in good, playable condition then asking price could be anywhere from $2K to $4K, possibly more if it were pristine and had the original cases. PIctures and location would also be necessary to follow posting rules.
OP says this is a King 1291 not a 1241. If the model number is correct and it has rotary valves, it should be worth significantly more.

https://simonettitubacollection.com/ins ... rding-tuba" target="_blank
"Should be" is the operative phrase. I know the 1291 is the rotary. I've followed the market on these for a while. Although rare, they don't tend to sell for that much. I've seen them on craiglist selling for under $2K, although I think they were greatly undervalued in those instances. Mike Lynch's pristine rotary CC is up at BBC for ~$7K, but it's been there for a while, and a CC horn in general tends to go for 20% more than a comparable BBb. In pristine shape you could possibly get >$6K for a 1291, but you might have to wait a while to do so.
That's about twice the price. I'm taking your values. Significant, no? If you don't want to wait, you could sell it in a tavern for $50 this evening. When selling anything at a proper price, it might take awhile to move it. There aren't a lot of buyers out there who even know what a 1291 is. Some people can wait a year to get the proper price. Other people can't and drop a price to move it.