Lyon and Healy Eb tuba - SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Lyon and Healy Eb tuba - SOLD

Post by Tubajug »

Greetings,

Since I found a King Eb, I haven't really played this horn much. It was one I bought to practice my repair skills years ago. I got it playing again and it has a really sweet, mellow sound to it. Open partials are in tune. I found I usually use third valve in place of 1-2 on some pitches and the F in the staff is better with 1-3 rather than first. Pedal Eb just pops right out. You can click on the "Lyon and Healy Eb" in my signature and see the thread about the whole process of repairing it. There is also a sound file on one of the pages of me playing "Silent Night" shortly after I got it finished.

Since I repaired it almost all myself, it's not the prettiest horn. My soldering was sloppy in places, and the finish is part raw brass, part nickel plating. I replaced the leadpipe with one I bent myself, put a King receiver on it, replaced the main slide tubes to bring it to modern pitch, and added an Amado-knock-off water key (which I just flipped around today, because I had the plunger facing out and my arm would bump it while playing and I'd get a wet sleeve...). It is as dent free as I could get it with what I had on hand to work with. The valves are very worn, but the slides still pop when pulled. I never put the bow guard back on after removing the dents because I couldn't get the shape right. I've still got it, plus a guard wire from a baritone that might work, but again, I just don't have the tools to get the shape close enough for my liking. I'll include both of those if you want them.

It is very small, size-wise. It's got a 13" bell and is only 29" or so tall. I've used it in tuba/euphonium ensembles as well as a solo instrument for a church Christmas party a few times. I used a strap to help hold it up, just because it was awkward for me to hold without it. I just used a strap from a book bag. I'll include it if you want!

This would be a cheap, fun little tuba for anyone wanting to get into Eb playing (I'm enjoying Eb quite a bit now these days). I thought about using the body to one day build an F tuba, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Price is $300 and I'll cover shipping via greyhound or if you're near Lincoln, NE we might be able to arrange local pickup. I'm a band teacher and fall is pretty packed, but who knows, we might work something out.

The link is for a craigslist ad I posted so you can see photos, since photobucket is so annoying to use these days and I haven't bothered trying any other hosting sites. Thanks for looking!

Craigslist ad with photos
Last edited by Tubajug on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Lyon and Healy Eb tuba - $300 shipping included

Post by Tubajug »

The horn has been sold, pending payment.
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Lyon and Healy Eb tuba - SOLD, pending payment

Post by Tubajug »

Payment received, this one is SOLD!
Jordan
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon