Yamaha Metal Valve Guides

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mr.T439
pro musician
pro musician

Yamaha Metal Valve Guides

Post by Mr.T439 »

Where can I get a set of the older all metal valve guides for a YCB-822?

Thanks?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Yamaha Metal Valve Guides

Post by Dan Schultz »

Mr.T439 wrote:Where can I get a set of the older all metal valve guides for a YCB-822?

Thanks?
The ones that are held into a recess in the piston top by a screw? If so... this style has vanished from both Yamaha and Allied stock. A option is to replace the entire piston and stem to use the new style plastic guide that is held to the top if the piston by a washer and the new stem. Worth the money to keep a horn in service.

I've never seen an instance where all of the guides have failed. They can usually be taken out, spread a bit, and be put back in.

Another option....
I have a few if them here. If all fails... send me a message.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

BuddyRogersMusic wrote:We have a bunch left, too. Message me if Dan runs out.

Chris
Good to know!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Mr.T439
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Mr.T439 »

So when I had my 822-f I bought a set of guides that were a copy of the plastic versions that screwed in on top with the washer but these were all metal. They may have been a custom set. I did buy them from the music shop in Memphis but it was there only/last set. Did Yamaha ever make such a guide or do I need to get them made?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Mr.T439 wrote:So when I had my 822-f I bought a set of guides that were a copy of the plastic versions that screwed in on top with the washer but these were all metal. They may have been a custom set. I did buy them from the music shop in Memphis but it was there only/last set. Did Yamaha ever make such a guide or do I need to get them made?
They probably were either custom-made or some very early prototypes. Yamaha changed to the plastic guide in 1988 at serial number 100,000. I checked the Yamaha parts list for the F tuba models and the only guide listed is the G01-141093 (Allied part number Y-G0-41092) which is the modern plastic guide with a metal insert.

EDIT: I thought I recalled seeing an all metal guide in the last few days! It's actually on a very old Allied Catalog and appears on a 2008 price list. It's Allied part number Y-G01-41093N and the retail cost on it in 2008 was $28.10. I'll just bet this is the guide you are looking for. Unfortunately... it seems to have disappeared from recent parts lists.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Note the 'edit' here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84606#p637375" target="_blank
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"