1986 4/4 Piston-Valve Hirsbrunner-Sold

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

1986 4/4 Piston-Valve Hirsbrunner-Sold

Post by Sasha Johnson »

For sale is a 4/4 piston valve (4+1) Hirsbrunner, built in 1986.

This is an excellent example of the quality instruments from this period of Hirsbrunner production. In close to thirty years of playing this tuba, I have performed everything from solo to brass quintet, to the largest symphonic works. I used this horn during the year I played in the Toronto Symphony, and for the audition for my job with National Ballet of Canada Orchestra. It is an incredibly versatile instrument, with impeccable intonation and a very typical Hirsbrunner ease of sound production. Where some horns I have played from this period are lighter with maybe more agility, this is more of a symphonic instrument, with a heavier weight to the sound.

Trials can be arranged in Toronto or Montreal or nearby. I very much prefer not to ship, but could be persuaded to drive it a reasonable distance of 200-300 miles for a serious buyer.

Price is $12K USD or equivalent Cdn. Included is a nice (Cronkite) gig bag and an ok hard case. More photos and details upon request. Please contact me through email or PM.

Thanks,
Sasha Johnson
Principal Tuba, National Ballet of Canada
Tuba Faculty, Glenn Gould School of Music
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sasha Johnson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Lopp
bugler
bugler

Re: 1986 4/4 Piston-Valve Hirsbrunner

Post by Mike Lopp »

HI!

Guys be sure to put her on the list of audition winners and their horns.

Mike
Member Greensboro Concert Band
Greensboro Community Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble
Charlotte Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble
Triad Community Band
BM and MM Music Education UNC-Greensboro
Brendan Bohnhorst
pro musician
pro musician

Re: 1986 4/4 Piston-Valve Hirsbrunner

Post by Brendan Bohnhorst »

Not to sounds like a broken record, but I agree with Wade. I'm not usually a big fan of these tubas, but I've spent some time playing this one. Frankly, this is the best piston CC tuba I have ever played. I am surprised that Sasha is letting it go!
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

1986 4/4 Piston-Valve Hirsbrunner

Post by Sasha Johnson »

A couple of updates about this sale.

I've had a few inquiries regarding the serial number which is 08649.

Also, regarding the model number, not to be too technical, but this horn was originally built as the 4-valve model, which I believe was HB-1P. The fifth valve was added by Peter Hirsbrunner (Senior) at the Sumiswald factory in 2000. Which indeed makes it an HB-2P, just slightly different.

Lastly, just to say that the price is negotiable and I am open to reasonable offers and/or interesting trades.

Thanks,
Sasha
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Re: 1986 4/4 Piston-Valve Hirsbrunner-On Hold

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Horn is on hold pending a sale. Thanks to everyone for their interest.
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Re: 1986 4/4 Piston-Valve Hirsbrunner-Sold

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Sold!