Alexander F 6 Valve owned by Arnold Jacobs for sale.

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
mhogg
lurker
lurker

Alexander F 6 Valve owned by Arnold Jacobs for sale.

Post by mhogg »

Hello all,

I am a former student of Rex Martin's who is helping him sell a few horns he still has in the Chicago area as he has moved to Switzerland. The horn is an Alexander F with 6 valves that he got from Arnold Jacobs. I will do my best to answer questions you may have, but keep in mind it is not my horn. Best if the new owner could come play it and see it's value for yourself. Hoping the midwest convention will bring an interested buyer close. There is no case or bag to go with it, so travel will be limited to the Chicago area for now. Rex is asking $7,200 for the horn, and is open to offers.

Please email me if interested at ac0063100@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Additionally, he has a Sanders 4 valve CC owned by "Fred Geib, it was then Luis Pirko’s tuba for the entirety of his career in the Baltimore Symphony. It has a gorgeous tone and is exceptionally easy to play"(to quote Rex). This one has 2 additional lead pipes. Asking $4,800.

Last edited by mhogg on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
mhogg
lurker
lurker

Re: Alexander F 6 Valve owned by Arnold Jacobs for sale.

Post by mhogg »

Thank you! Got it going now.

Cheers,
Hogg

bloke wrote:Please use imgur.com to host pictures (free/instant).

Once you obtain the url's of the pictures, please paste those url's here, and surround them with

[img]PICTURE'S-URL[/img] and no spaces.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

That's some seriously beautiful patina on that Alex.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Geib! :tuba:
Tom Coffey
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Tom Coffey »

Very interesting and unusual Sander. Kaiserlautern vintage instead of Wolfstein Faltz. Fritz Geib was very atached to Sander tubas.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

This Sander (not to ever be confused with the cheap stencil tubas sold by Fred Marrich under the bogus name "Sanders") was made in Kaiserslautern, Germany, and probably before WWI. These originally had a 2-3 length 4th valve, and this one has been extended to make it a modern conventional 4th valve. The Conn braces used are a big clue that it has been modified, plus cleaner-looking tubing.

Every Sander that I have seen has been a top-quality instrument of it's time, from the Sander-Kaiserslautern instruments to the Schertzer - Sander tubas from the Munich area, made after WWII. I have not seen any Sander tubas marked as being made in Wolfstein/Pfalz, but Wolfstein is only a few kilometers northwest of Kaiserslautern, so it is the same general area.

I would tend to think that the Sander is worth every penny of the asking price.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Nice Sander tuba!!