1912 Buescher Eb Helicon *SOLD*

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

1912 Buescher Eb Helicon *SOLD*

Post by KingBassTrombone »

I absolutely love the horn, but I think BBb would be better for what I do (multi-tracking/small groups) and I'm limiting myself to one tuba in my collection due to limited space and budget.

This 105-year-old baby has seen many players behind the mouthpiece and has had a long life. Little dents litter the outer bell branch, and there is a sizable ding on the 3rd valve branch, where the helicon balances if set into an upright snail-shell position. None of these dings noticeably impact how the tuba plays. The neck and its receiver is not original, but works well. The bore is approx. 0.652" at the 2nd valve slide, bell is 19". Silver plating is original, only about 50% remains. The bell engraving is crisp and beautiful. As with many valves of this age, the tolerances are larger than newer horns and they leak. Thick valve oil, such as Hetman Classic, compensates for this, and the horn sounds great. All slides work well, and the valve slides still have the notch designating how far to pull for low pitch.

Odd quirk: the 3rd valve slide is long enough to pull to 2 steps, so the 3rd is a substitute for 2+3 and you can get a sharp low Ab out of it. Not that you'd need to do that- the horn has great, solid false tones from low Ab to pedal D, which is why I love this horn. The horn has no trouble tuning to A=440 with good intonation if an appropriate mouthpiece is used and the slides are adjusted properly. The receiver takes a shank size slightly larger than bass trombone shank... is it called small shank? This horn does not come with a case of any kind, nor bits or a mouthpiece.

PHOTOS: http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/siren ... %20Helicon
If you'd like more photos or a video of me playing the horn, let me know.

I would prefer more to trade than sell, but I will consider all offers.
This tuba is a novelty horn to me, and thus trade offers don't have to be "daily drivers".

Would trade for one of the following:
BBb tuba (particularly BAT's like Conn 2XJ)
4 or 5 valve double-bell euphonium
Independent two-valve bass trombone*
Compensating euphonium*
Any horn I see as a fair trade for this tuba and useful or unusual*

I prefer Paypal for payment. I will not ship under any circumstances. You are more than welcome to pick up the horn, it easily fits in the back seat or trunk of a car and is fairly lightweight. I'll gladly reimburse you for fuel! I don't have access to my car, so meeting halfway or delivering it myself is almost impossible. I'm located in Toledo, OH, USA. Send me a PM or E-mail me at michaelborjas2017 @ gmail .com

NOTE: Dec. 15th to Jan. 15th is my winter break from college. During this time, the tuba is unavailable for pickup. I will still be able to monitor this thread and my inboxes, so you can send me offers, but I can't complete any deals until January 15th.

Happy Holidays!
-Michael

*HORN TRADED 4/6/2018*
Last edited by KingBassTrombone on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingBassTrombone
bugler
bugler

Re: WTT/OBO: 1912 Buescher Eb Helicon

Post by KingBassTrombone »

Trade pending