Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono in Silver

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono in Silver

Post by Mark Horne »

Now available for sale at the Brass Ark in the Los Angeles area is my 5450 RA Tuono in silver plate. This was a trade show demo and for all intents and purposes looks very much like a new horn. Many TubeNet readers are already familiar with this model and (especially since the Buffet acquisition) its curious lack of availability in the marketplace.

Perhaps more than any other single tuba, the 5/4 Tuono can achieve the same density of sound (some would say "core") as the best of the German Kaiser tubas while also delivering much of the "breadth" of a 6/4 grand orchestral tuba. The default color leans towards the dark side, but it will brighten up considerably with a shallower and/or more bowl-shaped mouthpiece cup. The Tuono and its piston-valved cousin (Thor) are both reputed to have a tremendous response in the notes surrounding the low G, and I can confirm this is absolutely true. This characteristic can also be enhanced or dialed back depending on your choice of mouthpiece - choose something like a PT-88 for a super-massive sound. The rotors are short-throw and very snappy. Beware - the factory springs are a little stiffer than your average Miraphone so a fair amount of finger strength is needed.

To address the question "if it's such a great horn, why are you selling?" I am fortunate to be able to own more than one tuba. With my Alexander 163 I can get a very similar sound and 90-95% of the same volume from a horn that is much smaller and lighter. When I need a heavier sound I have a Gronitz PCK, which is also lighter than the Tuono but the low range is not as easy. Were I only able to keep one tuba it would be the Tuono.

Pictures and more details linked here http://www.brassark.com/sale/" target="_blank

At the time of this post the price is $15,000
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono in Silver

Post by bort »

Wow :shock:
slipmo
lurker
lurker

Post by slipmo »

Noah Gladstone
Los Angeles, CA
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

I've heard Alessandro Fossi play his and cannot say there's a better core tuba sound in the world than these horns. Light, Punchy, Full, Engulfing are words I would use to describe it. If they didn't cost as much as a car, but worth every penny for the working pro.
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

I have not bumped this thread since I have thought often about taking this horn back into my rotation because it is such a magnificent instrument. However, I have just retired from my day job, and conventional wisdom says it's time to let it go. Contact Noah to discuss an offer.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I tried one at Dillon music a few years ago. Awesome, very large tuba. If I had the money it would be a hard choice between the MRP and the Tuono.