Vintage Eb Columbia Sousaphone by Harry Jay

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
roburt3
bugler
bugler

Vintage Eb Columbia Sousaphone by Harry Jay

Post by roburt3 »

This is a pretty cool horn thats definitely been around the block, but is still remarkably solid!

It could probably use a replacement for the DIY neck but that shouldn't be too hard to find/get made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142910084598

If anyone knows any additional history beyond what I mentioned in the listing (or any corrections!) please let me know!

Asking 800 OBO and hoping for a local pickup near Asheville NC!

Rob
Last edited by roburt3 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Besson 3v Recording Compensator, Leningrad 3 Rotor BBb Helicon, Yamaha YBB 321, several YBB 103's
roburt3
bugler
bugler

Re: Vintage Eb Columbia Sousaphone by Harry Jay

Post by roburt3 »

Bump for the drastic drop in price! Now $550!
Besson 3v Recording Compensator, Leningrad 3 Rotor BBb Helicon, Yamaha YBB 321, several YBB 103's
roburt3
bugler
bugler

Post by roburt3 »

Sorry for the slow response, but thank you for the info Schlepporello!

I had heard about the Louis Armstrong "provenance", but thought it might come off as "gimmicky" if I added that info to the listing.
Its a really cool/uncommon horn on its own merit!

That is a sweet looking helicon!
I noticed that the main tuning slide is not present in this photo. I imagine that might have been tricky to find/fabricate!

If anyone has tips on how I might be able to provide some shipping options on this horn, I'd also love to hear them!

I've had tons of buyers message me asking to ship, but I have never shipped a sousa before, and the fact that there is no case makes things a little more complicated...

Ideally, Id like to be able to pass it off to a carrier who will package/insure everything. Would anyone be able to throw out some ball park estimates for what this might cost or carrier recommendations?

I know that the shipping costs could vary wildly, but an estimate of the base cost to have it packaged/insured would definitely help me know whether the total cost for the buyer (for the sousa+packaging+shipping) would be above the value of the horn.

OR, one of you tuba gurus in FL could just pick it up for a cash discount! haha
roburt3
bugler
bugler

Post by roburt3 »

I'm also open to trades for most kinds of BBb tubas if someone in FL is interested!

I can muddle around in EEb, but am much more comfortable on a BBb horn, which is the main reason I'm letting go of this one!