SOLD!- Cerveny F Tuba 653-5 $2500.00

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Robert_123spleeah
lurker
lurker

SOLD!- Cerveny F Tuba 653-5 $2500.00

Post by Robert_123spleeah »

HORN IS NOW SOLD

For Sale: CERVENY F TUBA- CFB 653-5IX

Price: $2500.00.

Shipping is INCLUDED in asking price for Continental US buyers.
Comes with stock F tuba mouthpice and a custom flip-book lyre.
Custom Altieri Gig bag is included.
Horn is located in Los Angeles area.
Paypal accepted.

Specs:
Cerveny F 653-5IX
5 rotary valves, right hand
3/4 size, compact model "Arion Baby"
Bore: 0.709" (18.0 mm)
Bell: 14.17" (360 mm)
Heigth: 32.28" (820mm)
Weight: 16.3 lbs (7.4 kg)
Nickel-silver valve casings
Clear lacquer
Miniball linkage

Cerveny F mouthpice (measurements approximate):
Cup diameter: 30mm
Rim: 8mm
Depth: 35mm?
Throat: less than 8mm
Standard shank

Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/bOVl2

Disclosures:

-Minor dings and scratches.

-Cracked solder joint needs repair between 3rd & 4th valve tubing, not structurally important. Zip tie is installed to hold joint together to prevent buzzing on certain notes until joint is resoldered (see picture).

Horn is sold "as is". All sales are final, no returns. Contact me with any questions if you are unsure whether this horn will meet your needs.

Comments:

Horn purchased in 2008 from Dillon Music, original owner. Great small horn for solo, quintet or chamber groups. Rich colorful sound with good projection, quick tight response. Intonation is good and manageable, not Yamaha "point and shoot" good, but easy enough to learn and deal with. This was my go-to quintet horn for years in one of my regular church gigs. The valves are smooth and quiet with miniball linkages. Some of the valve stops have been replaced with rubber over the years, and the rotors are all aligned. Minor dents and scratches throughout, but overall the lacquer is in good shape. Suprisingly good low register sound and response for a small horn, but obviously don't expect "earth shaking bass" from this thing. If you need an all-purpose F tuba with a big CC-style low register, you'll want to look for a larger horn.

After 6 years, I noticed an occasional buzzing sound on certain notes due to a cracked solder joint between the 3rd and 4th valve tubing. No leaks or cracks in the tubing itself. This is most likely due to me carrying the horn from the small loop of 3rd valve tubing near the valve section for all those years (shouldn't have done that). It's an easy repair, but the zip tie has worked well enough as a long-term temporary fix for me to procrastinate on repairing it, no more vibration noise after that. Since it's a minor issue, I'm leaving it "as-is" for the buyer to decide whether or not to re-solder it, and the asking price is lowered already to reflect this.

Altieri gig bag is in good condition, black cordura with blue interior. Thumb ring is adjustable and removable, screws in/out. Mouthpiece receiver accepts both large shank and standard (American) shank mouthpieces, but large shanks seem to fit better. The stock F mouthpiece that came with the horn is smallish but in good condition. I bent and cut a sousaphone lyre for use with flip-books and stand-up gigs, that is included as well.

Payment:

I have a Paypal account, this is the preferred method. Cash accepted from local buyers in Southern California or anyone willing to meet me in the area.

Shipping:

Shipping is included in the asking price for buyers within the Continental US. I will pay for shipping myself, and you won't have to deal with shipping quotes, separate shipping payments, etc. For buyers outside the continental US, asking price will increase to accommodate increased shipping costs. If you have any shipping company preferences let me know, but the horn is going to be packed extremely well regardless. I have an old Miraphone shipping box for it. FedEx has an interesting flat-rate LTL Freight option worth checking out, comes with a large box with its own pallet attached. Or we can use Greyhound, UPS, whatever.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I'll be checking my messages periodically, may not reply immediately but will reply as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Robert Krizo
Last edited by Robert_123spleeah on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meinl Weston 195 Fafner BBb
Rudolph Meinl 4345P CC
Meinl Weston 45P F
Cerveny 653-5 F
Jdtuba
lurker
lurker

Re: Cerveny F Tuba 653-5 $2500.00

Post by Jdtuba »

Hello I am interested in your truck. Could you send me a PM and see if we can work something out
Robert_123spleeah
lurker
lurker

Jdtuba wrote:Hello I am interested in your truck. Could you send me a PM and see if we can work something out
Sorry...couldn't resist. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rudolph Meinl 4345P CC
Meinl Weston 45P F
Cerveny 653-5 F
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I don't know Robert, and I've never played his tuba... but I owned a Cerveny 653 for a few years, and share many of the same opinions about it.

Small tuba, very easy to play, and sounds great. I also thought it was very well-made, and extremely light and easy to carry around. FUN tuba!

:tuba:
Johnathan808
bugler
bugler

Post by Johnathan808 »

Interested. Contact info?
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Pittsburg State University
BMus Tuba Performance University of Hawai’i at Mānoa

Miraphone 1291 | Meinl Weston 2250
Robert_123spleeah
lurker
lurker

Bump.

Be advised that shipping to any location outside of the Continental US is expensive and is not recommended. Also, take note that the tuning slide on this model extends into and can be pulled past the bottom bow, which may affect playing position for players who prefer to support the horn on top of one leg rather than in between.
Rudolph Meinl 4345P CC
Meinl Weston 45P F
Cerveny 653-5 F
Robert_123spleeah
lurker
lurker

Re: ON HOLD- Cerveny F Tuba 653-5 $2500.00

ON HOLD
Rudolph Meinl 4345P CC