FS - Silver Conn 2J CC Tuba - SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

FS - Silver Conn 2J CC Tuba - SOLD

Post by Bill Troiano »

Although I just bought this tuba from a gentleman on this board, I'm sorry to say I can't use it. Probably built in the 60's, I wanted to use it mainly for jazz when I wasn’t using my CC sousaphone or in quintet. When I first picked it up to play it, I immediately knew it was going to be problem for me. I’ve had impingement in both shoulders for over 20 years now, stemming back from days when I swam a lot. I ended up having surgery a while ago, which helped a little, but I just have bad shoulders - disintegrated cartilage. Well, it hurts when I play this tuba, due to the reach and the angle of the valves. I never thought this would be the situation, especially with it not being a big tuba. I bought it without playing it first. I’ve had this same issue (playing in pain) with 2 other tubas and I ended up selling both of those tubas pretty fast. A few people came by to play this 2J and none of them experienced any discomfort holding and playing the tuba. This is just a problem if you have bad shoulders like I do.

I’m only going into this to let you know the reason I’m selling this tuba. I was pretty down after playing it for 20 min. and realizing I couldn’t use it. It has a great sound, excellent pitch and it looks good - some small dents and dings, but in great shape for a tuba that’s over 50 years old. The valves work fine, but I did install lighter springs. I still have the heavier ones that it came with. The slides all move well. It comes with the original Conn hard case that is pretty beat up and 2 latches are broken, but it’s functional.

So, it’s for sale.

Rare (only a few made in silver), silver Conn 2J CC Tuba (4 piston valves)
comes with hard case

$3500.00
Buyer pays shipping

More pictures available upon request.
Email me at: tubabill @me.com

Thanks!