SOLD: 1953 Conn 20J $1400 Plus Shipping

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
PRO
bugler
bugler

SOLD: 1953 Conn 20J $1400 Plus Shipping

Post by PRO »

IMG_2584 small.jpg
PLEASE VISIT DROPBOX TO SEE NEW PHOTOS OF THE LEADPIPE (NO DENTS!) AND THE VALVES. THE VALVES HAVE NO ROUGHNESS AND APPEAR "BRIGHT AND REFLECTIVE" IN REAL LIFE BUT THE PHOTOS CONTAIN ARTIFACTS THAT I CANNOT SEEM TO GET RID OF. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST HOW TO PHOTO THE VALVES? THANK YOU.

This is a three-piston top-action BBb tuba in lacquer finish with short-action valves. The serial number 426xxx dates it to 1953.

The body is in very good original condition with no major dents and only a few very minor dents and dings. The lacquer on the body appears to have been touched-up from time to time and there are variations in lacquer color. The bell is in exceptional condition with no creases, only one or two teensy dings, and excellent lacquer. It is a “lady face” or “naked lady” bell. The bell diameter is 24". The valves are in excellent original condition and marked with the serial number of the body. All tuning slides are free.

Harvey Hartman (Harv's Happy Horns) serviced this instrument some years ago. He adjusted the tuning slide lengths to put the horn in tune with itself. He cleaned and flushed all valves and tubing, aligned the valves, replaced the water key cork, added an Amati water key on the second valve slide, and converted the horn to Hetman synthetic valve oil and slide grease. He touched up the lacquer on the bell throat below the leadpipe. Altogether an excellent instrument.

Please see photos at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rq2eic3ar9dj ... DZEDa?dl=0" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
(Double-click to enlarge the photos.) The tuba stand in some of the photos is not for sale.

Price $1400 plus shipping.

Terms: If you pick up, payment to be in cash or paid by check in advance. If the horn is to be shipped, your check must clear before shipping. Shipping only to the USA lower 48 states. I will pack carefully in two large cardboard boxes, one for the body and the other for the bell, with lots of padding in each. Buyer pays for shipping (and for insurance if desired).

I have owned and enjoyed this tuba for about twenty years. Selling it only because I am buying a Conn 26J and have no need for two behemoths. (Actually, three. I have another 26J that will be for sale shortly.) Please feel free to contact me with questions about this 20J tuba. Thank you very much for looking.

Cannot respond to PM's. Please call or email.

Paul R. Ogushwitz, PhD
303 Center Street
Hackettstown, NJ 07840-2101
Phone 908-850-1636
Email proscientific AT verizon DOT net
http://www.YouTube.com/user/BrassWorksQuintet" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PRO on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 am, edited 10 times in total.
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: 1953 Conn 20J With Cases $1600 Plus Shipping

Post by Frank Ortega »

Hello Tubenetters,

I have played this particular 20J and found it to be one of the really fine examples of this model.
It has been kept in exceptional shape, and plays beautifully.

If you are looking for a bell front, 6/4 tuba for outdoor concerts and such,you wont find a better deal!

IMHO,
Frank Ortega
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FS: 1953 Conn 20J With Cases $1600 Plus Shipping

Post by Frank Ortega »

Hello Tubenetters,

I have played this particular 20J and found it to be one of the really fine examples of this model.
It has been kept in exceptional shape, and plays beautifully.

If you are looking for a bell front, 6/4 tuba for outdoor concerts and such,you wont find a better deal!

IMHO,
Frank Ortega
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
PRO
bugler
bugler

Re: FS: 1953 Conn 20J $1400 Plus Shipping

Post by PRO »

Bump for price drop.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Re: FS: 1953 Conn 20J $1400 Plus Shipping New Photos

Post by PRO »

BUMP.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Bump for photo within the ad.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

On hold pending payment.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Re: SOLD: 1953 Conn 20J $1400 Plus Shipping

Post by PRO »

Sold locally via CraigsList. Thank you all for your inquiries. Paul.