6/4 Mel C. Piston CC Tuba SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tubaport
bugler
bugler

6/4 Mel C. Piston CC Tuba SOLD

Post by tubaport »

Several of these up for sale on tubenet right now, so I’ll hold off the full description. If you're looking for a 6/4 German sound, affordable, easy to play CC, look no further. I’ve received nothing but compliments on the sound of this instrument in band, orchestra and even quintet. It’s basically a PT7, with a large bell and better intonation. VMI/B&S made.

It’s a gold tinted lacquer (really pretty color!), vented valves, and a bit of lacquer wear where the arm rests across the front bore. Comes with a blue Cronkhite gig bag. Located in the Cincinnati area. If you’re interested, please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. Not sure you can get a better deal, as I’ll let it go for $6,000

Pictures at the link below. Please let me know if you have trouble with the link and I’ll email the pics to you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iGSbeluMWVszCrVk2" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by tubaport on Sun May 27, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: 6/4 Mel C. Piston CC Tuba for sale

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Can't vouch for this particular horn, but it sounds like 'a lotta bang for the buck!". Once you get used to one of these things, they can lay down a lot of bass. I started with a piston one first, but switched to rotors only because I have old hands and need to play a lot of fast stuff. I miss the smoother legato of pistons.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

And not to be picky... but it's a gold-tinted lacquer over yellow brass. It's not gold brass.

Nice tubas! I briefly owned a rotary Neptune and really liked it!
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

Not picky at all. Thanks Bort. I’ll update the description. One of these days I’ll actially pay attention to the specs on these beasts!
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
adelarosa
bugler
bugler

Post by adelarosa »

Guys, I'll be blunt: BUY THIS TUBA. Kyle is super finicky and cares meticulously about his horns. He also has an excellent ear and has come across some excellent examples of the various models of horns he's owned.

Kyle had a very good PT-10p and a PT-6p last time I was over at his place and he pulled out this Neptune. While I have played beside him in brass band and wind ensemble a number of times I was curious why he'd picked up a large CC as his PT-6p was more than sufficient. Kyle played a bit on the Neptune and WOW, what a difference. Color, projection, overall timbre and fullness of sound was so much better I *immediately* said, "You've _got_ to keep this horn. I don't care what you do with the others, this one is BRILLIANT."

In the meantime he's done just that - kept the Neptune while the others found other homes. Kyle told me the other day he was selling this Neptune to my reaction, "WHY???" It's a seriously good tuba. Kyle is a seriously awesome guy. I highly recommend both him and this horn - the buyer (and the price: holy moly are you sure you hit the right key?!) will be very VERY pleased.

Good luck with the sale!
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Re: 6/4 Mel C. Piston CC Tuba for sale $6k

Post by tubaport »

Bump
Kyle Hurst

Ralph Vaughan Williams
NCTubaKid
lurker
lurker

Post by NCTubaKid »

Would you be interested in shipping to Texas?
thatawkwardtuba
lurker
lurker

Post by thatawkwardtuba »

I had the pleasure of playing this horn a little while ago, and it plays incredibly well. It is quite literally a PT6P on steroids. I bought my current F tuba from Kyle. He takes very good care of his horns, and it shows with the Neptune. If I had the need for a 6/4, I would definitely buy this one.
Evan Sacks-Wilner

B&S 3198 (Mr. P 5.0 HD)
B&S 3199 (Mr. P 6.5 HD)
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

Saturday bump.
Kyle Hurst

Ralph Vaughan Williams
MandoPena
lurker
lurker

Post by MandoPena »

I need a horn for college, so this definitely piques my interest. Is there any way you can ship it to Texas? I'm willing to pay a bit extra to cover the shipping costs, but if it can't be done, I'll drive out to Cincinnati. It'll make for quite a road trip! My email is armandopena@protonmail.com" target="_blank
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

MandoPena wrote:I need a horn for college, so this definitely piques my interest. Is there any way you can ship it to Texas? I'm willing to pay a bit extra to cover the shipping costs, but if it can't be done, I'll drive out to Cincinnati. It'll make for quite a road trip! My email is armandopena@protonmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
A word of advice, always make the trip. If nothing else, you'll save yourself the constant checking the tracking number waiting for it to arrive, have a cool trip to a city you might have never been to/might not otherwise get a chance to go to, and meet someone else who has the same passion (if even just in passing). You'll also not have to worry about your new horn being damaged or lost. I have never regretted driving to get a horn, even my 35 hour round trip in 2 days, and have always felt less stressed with the roadtrip than waiting for delivery, unboxing, and hoping there's no damage/checking what damage I do see and comparing it to the photos to make sure there's nothing new.

Long post made short: just drive. It's safer and usually cheaper.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype