James R New -- Geib model, euro shank

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

James R New -- Geib model, euro shank

Post by bort »

I really wanted to like this mouthpiece, but the sad reality is that my preferences have moved too far away from the Geib copy mouthpieces. It deserves to be played, so it's time to move on.

James New was the mouthpiece person at Kanstul for many years. He has since left Kanstul, and moved to Utah, where he set up his own shop (http://james-r-new.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank). I had previously owned a Kanstul Geib, so I asked Jim if he still had the plans and could make a Geib copy. He agreed to make one, and that's what I have. It sounds like he does not plan to make many tuba mouthpieces; it's simply easier to make smaller mouthpieces in larger quantities, and they sell faster.

That is to say, you're not going to find another one of these very easily, but it is effectively a Kanstul Geib.

It's a faithful copy of a Conn Geib. Deep cup, 33mm diameter, and a thin/sharp 7mm rim. Euro shank. Photos will be posted later.

This "New" is virtually brand new... maybe 1 or 2 hours of playing time on it. It's a very nice mouthpiece, but I've realized that I don't want to put in the time get used to a different mouthpiece again. It deserves to be played!

Price is $150, including shipping within the US.

:tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: James R New -- Geib model, euro shank

Post by bort »

Here are a few photos... I think it's hard to take good mouthpiece photos, but this is 99.99% brand new.

chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

I own a Kanstul Geib made by Jim. It's on the short list of mouthpieces I will never sell under any circumstances.

Someone should snatch this up. Probably not going to see these floating around used very often.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

chronolith wrote:I own a Kanstul Geib made by Jim. It's on the short list of mouthpieces I will never sell under any circumstances.

Someone should snatch this up. Probably not going to see these floating around used very often.
Big +1
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Sold!