For Sale: Denis Wick Aluminum Tuba Mute $200 Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

For Sale: Denis Wick Aluminum Tuba Mute $200

Postby KyleRichter » Tue May 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Selling an aluminum Denis Wick tuba mute for $200. It's a little bit older with a metal handle instead of the leather strap, but in really good shape.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/fxGAcC3

Located in Long Beach, CA. Shipping not ideal, but can be arranged at buyers expense.

-Kyle
KyleRichter
bugler
bugler

Re: For Sale: Denis Wick Aluminum Tuba Mute $200

Postby Basement » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:19 pm

What size is the mute?
Best part about hitting rock bottom? The only place to go is up!
Basement
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:51 am

With corks of around .5" to 1" (depending on where you place them along the curve of the body) mine fits my Mirafone 186 perfectly. With large corks it works very well on my Holton 345 and the MW 2165. The main thing is that this is not a dampening mute like the Balu, but a loud, metallic, buzzy orchestral mute. It is the best I have used on stage in my career. They are over $300 new.

The corks that come with one new today are useless, so like most mutes you will have to fit it to your horn. I did a writeup on this mute some time back in the Repair forum.

If you need a mute this is a very good one to own for anything 4/4 and up in size. NOTE: The bulb projects a LONG way out the bell.

I used mine recently for "West Side Story" and the "Firebird Suite" and have used it like seven or eight times since I bought it a little over a year ago. It worked great in the old 186; it was clear, buzzy and audible in the hall. If I were not broke I would buy this one right now so I could cork it for my 6/4 bells. (I cork a mute for each of my horns so they fit right and the pitch and projection are optimized for that bell. I had been using removable corks on this one, but I would not mind having a second of these at all so I can go back to having one for each horn ready to go.)

Highly recommended and at a very fair price. Good luck, Kyle. Sorry I can't buy it from you.

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby KyleRichter » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:03 pm

As Wade said, it can be corked to fit any tuba really, although would be a bit large to fit a 3/4 CC horn and some smaller F tuba’s. On mine (this is an extra one I’m selling for a friend) I’ve got Velcro strips so I can use the interchangeable corks that came with my Balu mute. The corks that are on the mute (the strips that come already glued to it) can be shaved down to fit a specific bell as well, although the interchangeable cork system is the way to go in my opinion.
KyleRichter
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:38 pm

This is a top shelf mute for sale, here. I am not being asked to write any of this; I am just a fan of this mute. I usually hate muted parts, but I now look forward to playing con sordino. Someone needs to get this for themself for Christmas!

Kyle, if it has not sold by December 25th I will most likely get it. Rest assured that at some point you will sell this mute.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Return to For Sale by Owner