*SOLD* Great starter F tuba! Miraphone 181 5V - $3,500

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
skinnytuba
bugler
bugler

*SOLD* Great starter F tuba! Miraphone 181 5V - $3,500

Post by skinnytuba »

Hello everyone,

I've decided to take a new career path, and need to unload some equipment before I move to Iowa City this fall for law school. As such, I am selling my F tuba, a Miraphone 181 5V (new in 1987). I have owned this since early 2007, and have taken great care of it ever since.

Pictures can be found at the link below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lwqso ... A8nt-MQtvV

Some notes:
1. The valve linkages for valves 1-4 were custom rebuilt by the previous owner (pictured). They have held up well over the years, but I have had to add some cloth to the third valve linkage to quiet it a bit.
2. The valve action is still smooth, but with how little playing the horn has gotten over the last few years, it could definitely benefit from a good cleaning in the near future.
3. The body of the horn is in great shape, with only a small ding in the bottom bow (pictured).
4. The thumb ring was moved up to be closer to the valve keys at some point in the past. (pictured).
5. There are two fifth valve slides, one for a major second, and the other for a major third.
6. A black canvas gig bag is included. I think it's a Reunion Blues bag, but it's not labeled. It has some signs of wear, but is still sturdy.
7. I'll even include a PT-20 mouthpiece, if you want it.

This horn has a wonderful, lyrical sound, and works great for solo and quintet work. The high register really sings, and the low end is as solid as you'd expect from a mid-size F tuba. This would make a great horn for someone looking to start playing F tuba, but who is not ready to throw down the $10,000+ for a new one.

Price is $3,500, with reasonable offers considered. I live in Burlington, Iowa, and am willing to travel within a four-hour radius (240 miles) to facilitate a test drive for serious inquiries.

If you have any questions or would like additional information, please feel free to email me at:

dl.rappenecker (at) gmail (dot) com

Or call/text me at:

7I6-848-9O61

I'd rather you didn't PM me on Tubenet, as I don't check in that often.

Thanks!
David Rappenecker, PhD
Tubist, Southeast Iowa Symphony Orchestra
Burlington, Iowa