"Vintage" Miraphone 185 CC 5V for sale $3000 obo

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Kleintuba
lurker
lurker

"Vintage" Miraphone 185 CC 5V for sale $3000 obo

Post by Kleintuba »

I am selling my Miraphone 185, serial no. 3764. That would mean it was made in 1967. I bought it in 1977. I was a member of the Air Force Band of the Golden West in Riverside, CA. Most of what I did was arranging so I had time on my hands and I started a Ph. D. at USC which included studying with Tommy Johnson. I was playing a Rudy Meinl at the time. Tommy hated that horn! He made me get the 185 which had been his at one time. It was my goto CC for many years until it was replaced by a 188 and later a 1291. I played it in concerts and recording sessions with Frank Sinatra, John Williams, Bruce Broughton, Danny Elfman, etc., etc. After I got the other horns I was only using it for polka bands and strolling shopping center gigs. (Boy did my life take a downward turn! Not really) I don't need a horn for that sort of thing anymore.

The leadpipe of the horn was replaced with a freer-blowing one, the valves were vented, the fifth valve lever was moved to under the right thumb, all by the technicians at what was then the Miraphone warehouse in Sunland. The fifth valve is the longer version that was all that was available then. (4+5=E). It's a great-blowing horn with good high and low registers. It would be a great solo, quintet, or small ensemble horn. You can make it work in an orchestra. I did for many years.

I had the bag it is sitting on made at a boat cover shop near where I lived when I bought it. They copied the Miraphone bag that came with it. It would be included. The horn is in Southern California. If you're not and you want the horn let me know. We can discuss how to deal with shipping.

See picture below -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19aQguc ... sp=sharing" target="_blank" target="_blank
CC
pro musician
pro musician

Re: "Vintage" Miraphone 185 CC 5V for sale $3000 obo

Post by CC »

Hello, Sent you a message earlier. You don’t have any contact info listed. I have a student interested.

Thanks,
Chris Combest
chris.combest(at)gmail.com
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

Nice Horn!
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
John Packer JP134 C Valve Trombone
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
Kleintuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Kleintuba »

Sold! Thanks to everyone who showed interest.
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

Congrats! That was quick!
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
John Packer JP134 C Valve Trombone
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba: