FSBO, Miraphone 5 rotor Bb tuba, 187?

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

FSBO, Miraphone 5 rotor Bb tuba, 187?

Post by hammerhead48 »

I have a five rotor Bb Miraphone tuba, lacquer finish for sale. I am not sure of the model number but I know it is from the 70's based on the serial number. Fifth rotor is thumb operated and is used as an alternate for second and third rotors. It has many dents in the bell but it plays well. The lead pipe has been replaced ( $900) plus new linkages for the rotors. I have played this for several years in community band, brass ensembles and dixieland bands.

Looking to purchase a new instrument but I would like to sell this one first. I am not sure how much it is worth but I would like to get $ 2500 but will listen to offers.

I can provide pictures, if interested. I live in south central NY State and will deliver within a couple of hundred miles if you pay for fuel. Prefer not to ship but I will if you buy the case for $ 300 and pay for the shipping. I have used Greyhound in the past. Slow but fairly inexpensive.

I have a Gard rolling case for this instrument which I will consider selling. $ 300. No mouthpiece but most tuba players have more mouthpieces than they need.
Northernlb
4 valves
4 valves

Re: FSBO, Miraphone 5 rotor Bb tuba, 187?

Post by Northernlb »

Pictures?
:tuba:
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

Just listed it. I will try to get some pix up soon.
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Post by Fergie »

Post pictures and I might consider driving up.
Dvorak probably wrote the the fourteen notes in New World Symphony to get his tuba friends a gig.
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

Will try today. Dealing with a death in the family.

Might be able to meet you half way depending on where you are driving from. Looks like New Jersey. I am about 4 hours from NYC.
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Post by Fergie »

hammerhead48 wrote:Will try today. Dealing with a death in the family.

Might be able to meet you half way depending on where you are driving from. Looks like New Jersey. I am about 4 hours from NYC.
Completely understandable and my condolences. Take your time.
Dvorak probably wrote the the fourteen notes in New World Symphony to get his tuba friends a gig.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I don't know if the Miraphone 187 was ever offered with a fifth valve, I do know it hasn't been offered in that configuration in the last several years.

So, you might have a Miraphone 186 BBb with five valves or you might have a Miraphone 188. Once you know what it is you are likely to find someone to buy it.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

So if it is not a 187, how do I find if it is a 186 or 188? From the serial number? The person I bought it from did not know the model number. Is it important for a potential buyer to know what the model number is?
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Post by Fergie »

hammerhead48 wrote:So if it is not a 187, how do I find if it is a 186 or 188? From the serial number? The person I bought it from did not know the model number. Is it important for a potential buyer to know what the model number is?
Post a photo and I’m sure someone here can quickly ID it tbh.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

My understanding is that the 188 would be in CC and the 186 or 187 would be in BBb (though they do make 186's in CC without changing the model number...)
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Fergie
bugler
bugler

Post by Fergie »

Hey you still selling this?
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

Yes, will try to get pix up this weekend.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Tubajug wrote:My understanding is that the 188 would be in CC and the 186 or 187 would be in BBb (though they do make 186's in CC without changing the model number...)
You are correct.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Spoarzy
lurker
lurker

Post by Spoarzy »

Miraphone does indeed offer the 187 in a five valve version. I just purchased a brand new 4 valve 187 in gold brass and love it!! Good luck with the sale and post some pics soon!!
Spoarzy
A reborn tuba player after 19 years.
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

I have been told it is a 186. I have seven pictures which I have been trying to post, I get a notice that the file is too big. I can e-mail them but can not post them on Tubenet. They are in a dropbox file.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

hammerhead48 wrote:I have been told it is a 186. I have seven pictures which I have been trying to post, I get a notice that the file is too big. I can e-mail them but can not post them on Tubenet. They are in a dropbox file.
Shrink them using a photo editor. If you are using Windows and you have the Paint program which comes with most versions, you can shrink them. If you get them below about 800x600 they should post. If not try 640x480.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

... ok .. can you put some facts in you add? diameter of bell ? inner diameter of valve loops 1, 5 and 5 ? 4/4 size ? and pics, please ? Would be nice to know such that we can get an idea if this horn would be something for us. And preferably pictures. That might make your sales process much easier ..
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

Having a difficult time posting them on Tubenet. If you can send me a PM, I can e-mail the pictures. Bell is 16.5 inches. Serial number is 11477 which makes it 40 years old.
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Post by bigboymusic »

Pm sent
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
SJSO Quintet
Alex 163 CC
YEB 321S
hammerhead48
bugler
bugler

Post by hammerhead48 »

Taking it off the market. Investigating getting it refurbished.