1959 6/4 Holton 340 - SOLD

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: 1959 Holton 340

Post by Kirley »

Oh, wow. She’s a beauty.
Love those curves!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Because I don't remember seeing it done...

...how difficult is it to replace the valve block with a modern 4- or 5-valve section, and keep in BBb (and not chop it to CC and destroy it)?
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Wow! In the acoustic guitar world there is always a lot of talk about a “birth year” Martin or Gibson. I never thought of having a birth year tuba!
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

You could probably order a JP CC valve set from Bloke and plug it in
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Nice horn - so many of these (former school horns) present with trashed bells ) - yours looks really good! (I'd love to get my hands on a bell like it :tuba: )

Changing out valvesets for these horns is a pretty straightforward matter - the bugle is so large that just about any 19mm/.750 bore set will fit with little to no modification. The only caviat to using one from bloke (JP) is that the valve circuits come in CC length - they would need to be modified (lengthened, maybe longer ferrules?) to BBb (but this may still be the most cost-effective plan).

FWIW, they're also great players in 3 valve form (false tones, etc.).
Bump for Mr. YORK-aholic!
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".