Mirafone 186 CC 5U

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
ncoumos
lurker
lurker

Mirafone 186 CC 5U

Post by ncoumos »

If you are looking for a vintage Mirafone this might be the one for you. I purchased this horn new in 1974 and have owned if ever since. It is obviously a very good instrument. It has served me very well. The fifth partial is better in tune than most Mirafones I've played, and the valves are quiet and tight. It has that Miraphone sound. Only a few small dings, (I tried to show them all in the pictures) and the lacquer has held up remarkably well. Needless to say I have always properly maintained this horn. It comes with the original "too big" Mirafone hard case in good condition, a like new Reunion Blues bag and if you are not happy with your current mouthpiece, I'll give you a choice from my collection. I have the original left hand 5th valve lever if you wish to change it back, but the thumb one works well. I live near Pittsburgh PA and would prefer not to ship it if possible. Pictures can be seen here. https://imgur.com/a/wlALvtU" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank? I'm not sure how to price this horn, but in looking at comparable instruments, I think $3900 might be a good place to start. Email me with questions if necessary.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Mirafone 186 CC 5U

Post by bort »

Great looking tuba! :)
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Norm Pearson »

Really cool you still have the signed inspection report. Worth the price for Mr. Johnsons seal of approval!

Norm
ncoumos
lurker
lurker

Post by ncoumos »

Wade it is going with the horn. I'll tell whoever buys it to contact you if interested. I have almost everything that came with that horn, including the lyre and perhaps the tool bag and a bottle of Mirafone Mist oil. Never used it or needed it. I don't think I still have the wooded dowel rod that you are to use to remove the valves however. Perhaps I have the original mouthpiece as well. Whoever buys this horn will get a piece of Mirafone (note spelling) history as well.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I'd love to own this, and have a LH fifth valve. Not to spite Wade, but because it would be a cool original setup.

Awesome tuba. Wish I could buy it!
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

That is a great looking Mirafone.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
NoReisTubaPlaying
bugler
bugler

Post by NoReisTubaPlaying »

Only if I had the cash! Great looking horn! A rare gem to find one in this good of condition!!
Luther College (BM Performance/ Management Minor)
4/4 W. Nirschl CC
Meinl Weston 45SLP F
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

Who converted it to LH 5th. I need the parts to convert mine.
Please email to george@georgemiklas.com" target="_blank

Thanks!
1967 Mirafone 186 CC 5U Tuba
1974 Mirafone 184 CC 5U Tuba
1948 Besson 2-20 CC Sousaphone
2022 Eastern Music (Jinbao) C 4U Euphonium
John Packer JP134 C Valve Trombone
WANTED: Miraphone 56A 5U C Kaiser Baritone (5 or 4+1) :tuba:
Adarack
lurker
lurker

Post by Adarack »

I'm interested in the Mirafone for my 13 year old son. He's been playing the tuba for a few years and the 186-5u was recommended to us as a more appropriate tuba for him to use based on his skill level and potential trajectory. I am admittedly have little tuba knowledge and don't know if an older tuba is equivalent to a newer one if they are both the same model or if age doesn't do them any favors. I'm outside of Boston but would be able to figure out how to get it here easily enough, just would like your opinion on how age affects a tuba's performance. My hunch is that they hold up well, especially a Mirafone, and I'm very interested in it for my son.

Just tried to PM you this msg but it seems like the message is stuck in the outbox. Would you mind emailing me or PMing me your email address? I'm at awdarack@gmail.com" target="_blank.

Thanks
Adam
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

Adarack wrote:I'm interested in the Mirafone for my 13 year old son. He's been playing the tuba for a few years and the 186-5u was recommended to us as a more appropriate tuba for him to use based on his skill level and potential trajectory. I am admittedly have little tuba knowledge and don't know if an older tuba is equivalent to a newer one if they are both the same model or if age doesn't do them any favors. I'm outside of Boston but would be able to figure out how to get it here easily enough, just would like your opinion on how age affects a tuba's performance. My hunch is that they hold up well, especially a Mirafone, and I'm very interested in it for my son.

Just tried to PM you this msg but it seems like the message is stuck in the outbox. Would you mind emailing me or PMing me your email address? I'm at awdarack@gmail.com" target="_blank" target="_blank.

Thanks
Adam
Adam, rest assured that Nick will get your message.

George
ncoumos
lurker
lurker

Post by ncoumos »

A sale pending on this great horn. Thanks to all for your kind comments.
ncoumos
lurker
lurker

Post by ncoumos »

To any still wondering, the horn is sold.
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

ncoumos wrote:To any still wondering, the horn is sold.
Who is the new owner? Where did you ship it?
geomiklas
3 valves
3 valves

Post by geomiklas »

bloke wrote::lol: