Meinl Weston 37

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
tubista
lurker
lurker

Meinl Weston 37

Post by tubista »

Hello all,

I am looking to sell my Meinl Weston 37 4/4 CC tuba. Five valves. I purchased it in December 2013 and it has been wonderful to me. I played it all throughout high school and through my first year of college. It is an incredibly versatile instrument and holds up well in ensembles of different sizes. Great upper range. Low range can be a bit stuffier and takes some time to take used to, but I have been able to get it to speak quite well. Intonation generally good, F both under and in the staff tend to go a bit sharp and open G has a bit of a flat tendency but can be fixed with some adjustments and otherwise it is not difficult to play this horn in tune.

Pictures attached in the link. Although it is a "Bill Bell" horn it does not have the detachable bell. I have never been able to pin down a year on it and guesstimate it must be at least 30 or 40 years old. Regardless, it is in excellent condition. All valves and slides move with ease. Some light dents have been removed from the bell, but there is a slight bump in the back. Some marks on the bell and a little wear on some parts of the surface. 1st and 4th valve are a little noisy. 1,3,4, and 5 valve slides are accessible with the left hand to adjust while playing.

Previous owner has definitely done some work on it. Fifth valve has been transferred from the left to right hand and there is a quarter on the valve button. It is very convenient for playing and the openness of the 5th valve hasn't been compromised. It can be a bit difficult to remove the 2nd valve slide though. The fifth valve follows a bit of an unusual fingering system- it functions as 23 fingering combination by itself. I have found good fingerings for the low range with no issues.

I am asking $3200. I go to school in Pennsylvania but live in the Indianapolis area. Shipping and/or in person exchanges will be discussed with serious buyers. I also have a G&W Williwaw I will throw in for free. It pairs really well with this horn. Comes with an old Altieri case that has a hole in the pocket and is missing the hat.

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing" target="_blank
JLSmith97
lurker
lurker

Re: Meinl Weston 37

Post by JLSmith97 »

Would you be willing to sell the mouthpiece separately? I'd so, please email me at jackieleonsmith@gmail.com" target="_blank