For Sale: Kanstul 5490 CC (Grand Orchestral) - $8,500 Bookmark and Share

Sell personal equipment
Forum rules
This is for selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

For Sale: Kanstul 5490 CC (Grand Orchestral) - $8,500

Postby Badgley » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Greetings everyone,

Up for sale is my Kanstul model 5490 Grand Orchestral CC Tuba.

This is a handmade 5/4 CC tuba with Kanstul's "special alloy" bell, top and bottom bows. The special alloy is supposedly copied from vintage York tubas to give this horn the classic American tuba sound in a modern large CC tuba.

The previous owner, a reputable member of this forum, provided the following history of this tuba when I bought it a few years ago. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of his statement:

"As far as the horn itself, it’s very special. I am sure a lot of folks say that about their instrument - but this is really one of a kind. I’m not sure how much you know about the Kanstul York Project but - Bob Carpenter and a team of Kanstul guys embarked on creating a York Copy. Bob, in addition to playing with Orlando Phil, is a world-renowned scientist. As such, he spent years studying the York tubas in order to advise a design for Kanstul. This horn was his personal horn and their prototype. I am lucky to be good friends with Bob and when I was in the market for a big horn he let me try it. I fell in love immediately and begged him to sell it to me.

This particular prototype was created as a series of a few and Bob told me that this one was sent around a bit to be tested. Gene Pokorny, Mike Roylance, and others tested this one and offered their suggestions. As such, there are some small braces added on the back that Gene and Mike requested for pitch."

I created a Google drive to host pictures. Several of the photos show a side by side comparison with my PT6p. In all side by side pics, the Kanstul is on the left and the PT6p is on the right. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing"

Price is $8,500.00 USD plus shipping and will include a custom fitted MTS hard case. I am not willing to ship for trials, however the tuba is located in the greater Seattle area and I am more than willing to host for trials (I'll even provide drinks afterwards).

Please contact via PM if you are interested or would like further details.
Brian Badgley
Badgley
pro musician
pro musician

Re: For Sale: Kanstul 5490 CC (Grand Orchestral) - $8,500

Postby Badgley » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Bumping to the top with some added details.

The horn has a pretty special sound that I think is the best quality. The sound is deep and full and can totally fill out any big band or orchestra.

As far as intonation goes, like any big horn it’s not without quirks - but I definitely got used to it. I’ll be honest - when I first got it, I fell in love with the sound, so I was willing to take a bit to get used to the horn. I have always felt that if a horn sounds good, you should put up with anything else to get that sound.

More specifically, here are the notes I have found need your most TLC.

F3 (in the staff) is a bit sharp but I usually pull about 2.5 inches or so and I’m fine.

A2 & A3 - sharper. You have two options. Depending on the context, I either play it with 3rd Valve or I pull a ton because I like the color better. This is one of those notes I just got used to blowing down on because it’s a note that is sharp on most CC tubas.

E2 & E3 - Same deal as A. 3rd Valve or pull.

For the rest of the notes, I pretty much have my slides set for what makes most sense. For example, I set my 4th valve slide to D & G and then I am set for D below the staff, Low G, and Low F. For my first valve slide, I usually have it out about an inch or so and only have to minimally use it.

As I said, I am used to slide pulling because that’s how I was taught. I know people feel differently about this - but I haven’t found a 5/4 or 6/4 tuba that plays perfectly in tune without some slide pulling - no matter the price tag!

All in all, I cannot say enough about how great this horn is. If I had the resources, I would hold onto it. For me, it is Just hard to justify keeping two 5/4 CC’s and I’ve found myself using the PT6p for the majority of my large ensemble playing lately.
Brian Badgley
Badgley
pro musician
pro musician

Return to For Sale by Owner