*SOLD*5/4 CC tuba for sale*SOLD*

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Will
3 valves
3 valves

*SOLD*5/4 CC tuba for sale*SOLD*

Post by Will »

I am selling my Miraphone 1290, an older version of the the 1295 and 1291. This horn has a big sound. It's in really good condition with some wear and tear. I just bought it in January. I'm selling it now because I just don't have the need for it anymore.

I'm offering it with a Gard gig bag that fits the horn perfectly. Email me for pictures or further information: wdivers@vt.edu

$4000 o.b.o.

Here is a link to when it was on sale in this forum before and was discussed:

viewtopic.php?t=4082&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=12
Last edited by Will on Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music Teacher
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Also more info at:
viewtopic.php?t=4024
here is a pic from early 2002, I doubt it has changed too much since then:
The horn is bigger and taller than it looks, the bell is almost 20 inches.
As a frame of reference for what to expect, this horn has been favorably compared to a PT-6P with a slightly more "American" sound (possibly due to the additional bell flare.) It is nearly impossible to make the sound on this horn break up. The ergonomics are actually pretty comfortable, it is not nearly as funky as it looks.

Are you SURE you want to sell it, Will? I traded down for a 4/4 a few years ago, but then went back to the 5/4 (or maybe 11/8 in my current horn) after my dean (yet strangely not any of my regular conductors) kept demanding a bigger sound.
Will, you already have a BIG F and great Eb that should fill out the quintet / recital / small ensemble needs nicely - a horn with this depth of sound is the perfect complement.
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

My 822 is suiting me just fine for what I'm doing now. I am at a point right now where I can't hold on to two tubas (the YEP-321 is the euphonium). This 1290 is a great horn but I simply don't have a need for it after graduating and soon starting to teach.
Music Teacher
james
pro musician
pro musician

actually

Post by james »

I can tell you that this horn is a nice instrument with good pitch and sound overall. It does have a dark sound up close but the sound stays very compact and clear in the back of a big hall(i.e. Chicago Symphony Hall). Looking back, I would actually say this tuba has a "german", centered sound. I sold the horn to buy something bigger with rotary valves for audition/large orchestra low brass section purposes. I own a large F tuba and needed something to contrast.

This particular 1290 had something special in the sound when compared to other 1290's or the new 1291's I have tested recently. If you are looking for a small 5/4 piston CC tuba, you would do justice to at least try this one.
Last edited by james on Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

The PT6P comparison was made on numerous occassions by a well known tuba professional, and a different T.P. once remarked that the 1290 / 1295 line in general sounded more American than the PT6 line. I didn't feel appropriate to throw those names around the board, out of respect for all involved. I just want to let you know that I was not the sole originator of those comparisons.

It is very hard to try to describe sound, like telling a blind person about colors.
(Just read any of Bloke's rants on the subject.)

This horn IS apples and oranges different from a 186 and has a fantastic sound all its own. While certainly not the CSO York, it is a great sounding tuba for the price that with a large deep mouthpiece will put a nice bottom on a medium to large ensemble (maybe not XX-Large) and with a medium mouthpiece could get by in smaller ensembles if pressed.
Some 1290's have a deservedly bad reputation, but this horn is not one of them. Play it and decide for yourself. If this horn had been available a few months ago, there is an excellent chance I would have bought it back instead of my current horn.

james
pro musician
pro musician

exactly

Post by james »

Well said. This horn simply had this type of sound for me. I USED to feel that the horn had an American sound because of the sound "at the ear" until I listened to some recording feedback from the back of a large hall (i.e. Chicago Symphony Hall). To clear up....my definition of German is less weighted and more centered/direct and American being more weighted and more round. This is a new discussion altogether though. For me the horn was pretty versatile and able to handle both large and small groups. I believe THIS 1290 has a more clear and centered sound than the new 1291's(not the Baer model). The Baer model seemed to have a more centered sound than either one. The pitch on the new horns is a little better overall but the slides are more accesible on this particular 1290.....Bump for Will!!
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

This 1290 is better than any of the 1295s I've played. I haven't had much experience with the 1291. With the few I've tried, I found they played very similar to this horn. My horn is also taller than both the 1295 and 1291, which I found to my liking.
Music Teacher
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

sold

Thanks for those of you interested and for those of you who helped this really good CC into good hands.

Will
Music Teacher