SOLD Paxman BBb Sousaphone [UK]

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
keiranto
lurker
lurker

SOLD Paxman BBb Sousaphone [UK]

Post by keiranto »

SOLD: Paxman BBb Sousaphone.
Paxman are known mostly for french horns I believe, but seem to at some point made or imported/stamped a BBb sousaphone. I can't find any information on this instrument online, but it's certainly an interesting tuba!

Selling due to the number of tubas in my house reaching critical levels, I'm sad to see it go, it's been my backup/trad jazz instrument for a few years.

It's a BBb, but it's pretty small and very light, ideal for new players, doublers, or people looking for a bigger/brassier sound than an EEb or fibreglass model without too much extra weight.
3 valves, plays well in tune and can get a real raspy sound out of it if you pump a decent amount of air down it, or a tight sound ideal for trad jazz if you're a bit more restrained. It's got a few dinks and dents cos of its age, but nothing that affects the tuning or anything.
The leadpipe into the crook has a hose clip serving as a tightening screw, I got my instrument repairer to add that on to keep it airtight, it looks a little janky but it works. I've also added an 80 degree tuning bit to the leadpipe (you can see the gold coloured bit) from a different sousaphone, which both helps with the tuning and makes it a bit more ergonomic to play.
At some point it's had the bell section moved to the side/forward, which makes it a little unbalanced (rotates forward on your body), but as its so light it's easy to play with a steadying hand.
There's a decent little hard case with it as well, fits in the boot of most small cars, or can be carried over one shoulder. I'll also chuck in a 24AW mouthpiece if you want/need one. Sold as seen.

Ideally collection from Liverpool or St Helens, Merseyside, although I'm semi-regularly in the Leeds/York area and travel round the country for gigs so something could be arranged. I'm happy to either meet up with people interested in trying before buying, or can send video/audio of it being played.
Delivery by me/courier could be arranged at seller's expense.

I'm open to offers in the region of £1000. Any questions please ask on here or the facebook link posted.

Photos available at https://www.facebook.com/groups/5260873 ... 9040821218" target="_blank" target="_blank