6 valve gold brass Alexander F

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bydloman
bugler
bugler

6 valve gold brass Alexander F

Post by bydloman »

With this being my final season as Principal tubist of the Utah Symphony, I've decided to sell my prized Alex F. I believe this horn was built in the early 60's and, as you can see, it's in excellent condition. I purchased this instrument from Chester Schmitz many years ago, and this is the same instrument Mr. Schmitz used on his V. Williams Concerto video as well as the tenor tuba part(!) on the Boston Symphony recording of The Planets. This instrument has the best high register of any F I have ever played, and with it's rock-solid G# it has been my go-to tuba for bydlo.I am asking 11K, and the instrument does not come with a case.
Please send me a p.m. if interested.

Gary Ofenloch
Utah Symphony/ University of Utah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: 6 valve gold brass Alexander F

Post by Ken Herrick »

Hi, Gary,
I remember Chester doing the Vaughn Williams with this axe with the BSO a couple days after I got to NEC in '70.

I think anybody wanting a great instrument which has, incidentally, been owned by two great players would do well to pick this up!

(Do you recall that time when young Thomas threw something less than pleasant at you???)
Ken
Free to tuba: good home
Ted Cox
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Ted Cox »

IMG_0657.jpg
Chester with this same Alex F.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Ted Cox wrote:
IMG_0657.jpg
Chester with this same Alex F.
I think you need to add this one to your collection, Ted!
Andy
Ted Cox
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Ted Cox »

Andy, Thank you for your suggestion of adding this specific tuba to my family of Alexander's. Although it is a beautiful tuba and I know I would be proud to own it, I seriously doubt it plays $6,500 better than the wonderful Alex F I currently own. The man who owned my Alex F before me had it for 44 years and was no less a great player as Gary is. However, don't think for a second that I didn't consider contacting Gary about it.
bydloman
bugler
bugler

Post by bydloman »

Update: I have lowered the price on this Alex F to $9000. Please send a p.m. if interested.
Gary Ofenloch
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

bydloman wrote:Update: I have lowered the price on this Alex F to $9000. Please send a p.m. if interested.
Gary Ofenloch
PM sent
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
bydloman
bugler
bugler

Post by bydloman »