Sold: MW Thor

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
ZandertheGreat
lurker
lurker

Sold: MW Thor

Post by ZandertheGreat »

Hello fellow Tubadours!

TL;DR version: Silver Meinl Weston 5450 "Thor" for sale w/ a gig bag and a hard case included for $10,000, plus shipping and handling.

General Information
Brand: Meinl-Weston (Melton)
Model: 5450 "Thor"
Size: 5/4
Finish: Silver
Valves: 4+1 (4 pistons + 1 thumb activated rotor
Bore: .748"/.807"
Bell: 17.75" *
Height: 38.8"

Horn-Specific Information
Manufactured Date: 2008. This horn was bought from WWBW in summer 2008. As of now, I am the second owner of the horn.

Repairs: Only one repair to consider. A corner of the bell was slightly crinkled in 2013. Mike Morse (Tuba Exchange) rolled the bell out and did a great job. If you're up close you can tell a change in the finish where the repair was done, but it isn't noticeable from a distance.

Condition: Great overall! Aside from the aforementioned bell damage (which has been repaired) the only other things are a few small dings and scratches from normal wear and tear. Everything works. Oil changed every 3,000 measures. As for the overall aesthetic qualities of the horn, I will polish it down before the shipment of the horn.

Playing Characteristics
Horn Usage: It is a 5/4 CC, so orchestras and bands are its native habitat. It is big enough to hold its own in your big Romantic orchestral lit, but the quick response makes the horn agile enough to play in chamber settings. Pop in a small mouthpiece and play responsibly and the horn works great for quintets.

Response: Super easy and quick response. I really love the "blow" on THORs and there are few horns that have as good of a response.

Intonation: Great and reliable. No horn will always play perfectly in tune, but I find there isn't much adjustment to get close. On the occasion that you feel the need to push/pull a slide, they're all really easily accessible.

Tone: Sounds like a big 5/4 CC tuba when you want it to, sounds like smaller horn when you need it to. In general, I find THORs to be very responsive to the "gas you put in the tank." By that, I mean it is easy to change the timbre depending on your playing situation. You can blend with the bass trombone one minute and the double basses the next.

Hard Case: The Tuba will come with an MTS 1209v hard case. This case works well because it allows the user to add extra padding when traveling. I've used the case in similar circumstances and never had any issues with damage.
Gig Bag: Soundwear Bag. Comfortable, easily adjustable, super padded. Good condition overall. The only issue is that some of the zipper handles have come off, but zippers themselves still work fine.

Pictures: Link to IMGUR Album
imgur.com/gallery/PGGzFag

Location and Logistics:
Horn Location: Portland, Oregon
Play-Tests: If you live within driving range, you are more than welcome to drive on up and give the horn a toot. If you live a little ways away, I'm willing to meet you halfway if you are seriously interested.

Trials: I would prefer not to lend the horn out on a trial, but I am willing to work with you if we can find an agreement.

Holds: The instrument will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis; no holds will be given.

Shipping: I would greatly prefer to hand deliver the horn at an agreed-upon location, but I am open to shipping the horn if the deal is contingent upon this detail. I am willing to drive to meet someone halfway (within reason). If shipping absolutely must happen, the buyer is responsible for the shipping costs (insurance is highly recommended).

Payment Details
New Price: $16,099 (WWBW) to $16,863 (Dillon)
Asking Price: $10,000 (OBO)
Price Includes: Tuba, Hard case, and Gig Bag.
Payment Details: Cash or certified check preferred.

Contact Information
Via TubeNet: Just reply to this thread or send me a PM. I'll try to check back often.
Via Email: McCartney(.)Alexander(@)Yahoo(.)com [Remove the parenthesis]--Prefered method
Via Phone: PM or email me and I'll send you my number.

If there is something I left out or you have a question, please feel free to contact me. Email is probably the best method, but I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Thank you for your time and interest,
Alexander McCartney