Martin Mammoth at Dillon Music

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Martin Mammoth at Dillon Music

Post by bort »

circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Martin Mammoth at Dillon Music

Post by circusboy »

Yummy!
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Wow! :shock:
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
Awegner2
bugler
bugler

Post by Awegner2 »

Wyatt, I can hear your heavy breathing from 120 miles north.
Andrew Wegner
Wessex Chicago York
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

Beautiful example, great player, (played it today). Needs a set of bits.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Awegner2 wrote:Wyatt, I can hear your heavy breathing from 120 miles north.
I'll try not to cause a flood with my salivating. Never before have I had a worse case of "want but can't afford"...what do kidneys go for these days? :lol:
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

The West Point Band had five of there when I was there in 72-73. I tried them all being under the spell of Arnold Jacob's sound at the time and I thought they weren't anywhere near as good as the 5 King .750 bore piston horns that they also had. I may not have used the bits though and having a Martin Mammoth in my stable for the last 15 years has taught me that you need the bits. They were getting ready to scrap out the Kings when I got out but I never heard anything about the Martins. And the King Jumbo sousaphones that we played on are supposedly still there as well as a silver 186 Miraphone.If this horn is from that batch they were hardly ever played and well maintained by the band's repair guys.This horn could be a real gem. I suspect that it won't spend very long at Steve's store. Ed
The Singing Whale
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I wish I wanted this tuba. It's beautiful in every way.

But it probably weighs 35 pounds, and is the polar opposite of my sound concept.

Someone is going to walk away very happy though!
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

I never knew King made a piston valve tuba in .750 bore - that's something I'd love to see/try someday....

If I were looking for (another) 6/4 horn, that Martin would be gone by now :tuba:
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Maybe I'll buy and cut to CC?

:P
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bort wrote:Maybe I'll buy and cut to CC?

:P
Split the difference and put it in B - - -
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Mark Jones posted a picture of the five that West Point bought, maybe he'll favor us with another post. They all (supposedly) went to the crusher. There is a .750 bore C here in town though, with piston valves. If you want to try it I can give you the contact stuff in a PM. I would buy a Bb .750 in a heartbeat if one came up for sale. Ed
The Singing Whale
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

EdFirth wrote:Mark Jones posted a picture of the five that West Point bought, maybe he'll favor us with another post. They all (supposedly) went to the crusher. There is a .750 bore C here in town though, with piston valves. If you want to try it I can give you the contact stuff in a PM. I would buy a Bb .750 in a heartbeat if one came up for sale. Ed
Ed I remember you giving praises to how well the King 2341's play, in your opinion how would this Martin play in comparison (ease of blowing, response, etc)? I know there's a huge size difference..
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

They must be as rare as hen's teeth - I've been playing tuba for 40 years and have never seen one. It must play like a York, but maybe with a little more "punch".....?
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

Hey Groth, To compare any Martin to a 2341 would in large part depend on whether or not the Martin has had a valve job in the not too distant past. I've played top as well as front action Martins, mine is a three banger top action and did have a valve job fairly recently. It and my King blow and sound very similar. The big difference is the breadth of sound. The Martin is much broader and the tone is more "flowery". That being said, I've not played a front action Martin yet that played as easily or sounded as good as any top banger I've played. But again, it could have been that the valves were worse off on the front actions. The DC Army band had front and top action so they could have two guys on a stand and those who I talked to liked the top action ones better. But Matt @ Dillon's knows the 2341's better than most and the Martin is in his store so talking to him would shed a lot of light on it. And those Martins need the right bits to function.FWIW, Ed
Last edited by EdFirth on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Singing Whale
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

The front actions did vary as they didn't make as many as the top actions. This one's a keeper. The valves seemed tight although I didn't make a visual inspection. I own three of these, two pre-war, one post. This stands up with the best of them. The fact that it played well even without the bits leads me to believe that it would be quite something with a set. Martin Wilk can provide them.
I agree with Ed's comparison with the King. I've always preferred the mid and high register on the Martin although the Kings are impressive.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

roweenie wrote:They must be as rare as hen's teeth - I've been playing tuba for 40 years and have never seen one. It must play like a York, but maybe with a little more "punch".....?
It plays nothing like a York. Martin's are fine horns but were designed with a different approach than York.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Alex C wrote:
roweenie wrote:They must be as rare as hen's teeth - I've been playing tuba for 40 years and have never seen one. It must play like a York, but maybe with a little more "punch".....?
It plays nothing like a York. Martin's are fine horns but were designed with a different approach than York.
I've seen and played several Martin tubas in my life (and even more Yorks) - I was talking about the .750 piston-bore King.

Sorry for not being more clear :oops:

roweenie "the quote button is your friend"