Page 1 of 2

Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba Price Drop $2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:54 am
by EMC
Selling my Silver 6 valve wessex, to my knowledge the horn was originally a 5 valve F tuba and has the original 5th replaced and had a 6th added on top, Really great playing F tuba that has had two valves (5th and 6th) added to i, the two added valves are Jinbao rotors from what ive been told and the jinbao rotors have slightly smaller bore than the following 4. The silver plate on the horn is like 95% the only area where it seems to have faded a bit is where the hands rests and the added valves are unplated. The leadpipe has also been raised slightly which if youre very short might be a bad thing for you but otherwise you should be fine or more comfortable. The tuba is very solid and rather heavy and because of that the sound really just shoots out of the bell and you can cut through an ensemble without trouble at all, you can give this horn a ton of air and the sound keeps a very solid core at very high volumes. The low register id say is better than the average F tuba especially below A, the low C isnt bad once you spend a bit of time on the horn so that you know where they want to be placed, the intonation overall is very typical of an F tuba, you may need to lip up some of the highest notes like high G and high G# but you shouldnt need any weird alternate fingerings, the rotor linkages are a bit noisy but otherwise everything mechanically works fine. Asking price is $2600, Ill upload some photos in the morning, Thanks!

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex F tuba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 am
by the elephant
So you are saying this was originally sold as a FOUR-VALVED F tuba and two were added, or this was one of the six-valved horns and 5 and 6 were swapped out for smaller bore rotors? If this is a Wessex-branded horn, which model is it? You need to be more specific. And yes, by all means, well lit and properly focused photos that clearly show all this major surgery are pretty necessary for a horn like this. Good luck!

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex F tuba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:58 pm
by EMC

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex F tuba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm
by EMC
the elephant wrote:So you are saying this was originally sold as a FOUR-VALVED F tuba and two were added, or this was one of the six-valved horns and 5 and 6 were swapped out for smaller bore rotors? If this is a Wessex-branded horn, which model is it? You need to be more specific. And yes, by all means, well lit and properly focused photos that clearly show all this major surgery are pretty necessary for a horn like this. Good luck!
I just added some photos, let me know if you believe they are good enough. I'll edit the original post but as far as I know this was a 5 valve that had the original 5th swapped out and then a 6th added, as far as the original model I'm not sure, the bell simply says "Wessex custom" and I haven't been able to find anything that quite looks like it on the Wessex website so unfortunately the model is unknown to me.

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex F tuba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:08 pm
by thevillagetuba
This is a modified Wessex Strauss.

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex F tuba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:28 pm
by EMC
thevillagetuba wrote:This is a modified Wessex Strauss.
thank you! I'll edit the title

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:42 pm
by the elephant
Cool. It is coming along, now. Photos are good. Now you have enough info so that you can let it sell itself while you check in every day. You don't have to answer a hundred questions and everyone who wants to see the horn can without having to email you, and then you email them back.

Best of luck, EMC!

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:17 pm
by DouglasJB
Wade. This was the 6V F tuba Tabor built for me, its story might be floating around on the Frankentuba FB page still

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:20 pm
by the elephant
Excellent, and good to know. EMC, Tabor's work is known here, so listing that might be a plus.

Errrr, and we just did that for you.

Cheers and another free BUMP!

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:48 am
by Cbroome5535
looks like a great horn if I could afford it I would take that off your hands. once I'm able to sale my piston York f 5 valve I will probably try to get it if its still available. :tuba:

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:21 am
by EMC
Cbroome5535 wrote:looks like a great horn if I could afford it I would take that off your hands. once I'm able to sale my piston York f 5 valve I will probably try to get it if its still available. :tuba:

That would be great if you could, especially if you are still in the san antonio area we could probably meet in the middle of san antonio and El paso and i could hand It off to you!

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 am
by Cbroome5535
Yes that sure would work it is just trying to sell my York f tuba piston that was cut from an Eb. it is dated back to the early 1900's.

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:08 am
by EMC
Cbroome5535 wrote:Yes that sure would work it is just trying to sell my York f tuba piston that was cut from an Eb. it is dated back to the early 1900's.

Was that the one that was at Baltimore for awhile?

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:35 pm
by Cbroome5535
No sadly it isn’t. I bought it from a high schooler in the north Texas area back in January and a piston f just isn’t working for me. I personally need a rotor f.

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 pm
by EMC
Cbroome5535 wrote:No sadly it isn’t. I bought it from a high schooler in the north Texas area back in January and a piston f just isn’t working for me. I personally need a rotor f.

Oh I see, I thought maybe I was familiar with it, I'll ask around here in El paso and see if anyone would be interested, what are you asking for it?
I know how you feel all my personal tubas are rotor tubas, they just suit my hands and chops better.

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:06 pm
by Cbroome5535
I’m asking for $2000. It comes with an altiri gigbag plus it dates back to either the 1920s or 30s. It’s silver plated and I’ll probably polish it before I sell it. Thanks

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:51 am
by thevillagetuba
Cbroome5535 wrote:I’m asking for $2000. It comes with an altiri gigbag plus it dates back to either the 1920s or 30s. It’s silver plated and I’ll probably polish it before I sell it. Thanks


You should post your instrument for sale if you really want to make sure you get this horn. Even if the pictures you post originally are before you polish it and you just state that you will do so in the ad.

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:00 pm
by EMC
Bump, for anyone curious local pick up is fine or I can ship to you with greyhound in a hardcase.

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:56 pm
by geomiklas
DouglasJB wrote:Wade. This was the 6V F tuba Tabor built for me, its story might be floating around on the Frankentuba FB page still


I looked for the story on Frankentubas, but didn’t find it. Help!

Re: Modified 6 valve Wessex Strauss tuba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:22 am
by EMC
Bump, offers welcome!