--SOLD-- BMB J-764 6/4 BBb with case

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

--SOLD-- BMB J-764 6/4 BBb with case

Post by WakinAZ »

--SOLD--
Big Mouth Brass / BMB J-764 LQ 6/4 four-valve BBb tuba in lacquer with case, $3595 OBO. $200 Greyhound Package Express (GPX) shipping to CONUS at buyer's expense and risk.

Tuba has some bell scratches and very small wrinkles from a bell repair, a few areas of lacquer wear, and one thumbprint size ding on outer front of bottom bow. I also had the lead pipe re-angled so it is parallel to the bell rim and you can sit it straight up and down vertically in your lap. The prior angle tended to point the bell backwards and made for an awkward holding position, at least for me. There is a lacquer repair where the bracket used to be. I'm 6 feet tall and long in the torso, and I don't think this made the overall position lower, just the correct angle as far as I'm concerned.

Overall cosmetically I rate this horn at about an 8.5/10. If you're picky. Mechanically about 9 out of 10. The valves are 9.5 out of 10, the slides are about 8.5 to 9 / 10 depending on how tight or loose you like your slides. Compression is absolutely no problem, excellent.

Also, I had my (very picky) tech thoroughly clean and adjust this horn. It's ready to go for you.

Valves are still very tight. I use ultralight oil on the valves. They're excellent and have excellent compression. all the lower slides move very well. The upper number one slide is vented and moves very well. The upper two, three and four slides are still very tight, and could probably be lapped if you wanted to pull them for "on the fly" tuning purposes. I'm not a slide puller, so I pull out number four lower slide, and the main tuning slide, and I'm good to go.

The hard case is BMB's MTS knock-off type case. It's in very nice condition. Hardly used, and has a bell insert to further protect the bell. The tuba will be shipped in the hard case by GPX.
Located in Tucson, Arizona, USA.

Pics here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mpzkLhRGK3iG9BSj9

Reason for selling: I've l lusted after a 6/4 BAT for years, and I finally got this one, but my bad back does not share my enthusiasm for large tubas. Don't get old kids.

Thanks,
Eric L.
Last edited by WakinAZ on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Re: BMB J-764 6/4 BBb with case & gig bag

Post by BBruce107 »

I am the former owner of this tuba and can attest to how well it plays! It got me into my graduate program and really is one of the easiest BBb tubas I have ever played! If you want a great BBb tuba at a great price BUY THIS TUBA!
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

--SOLD-- Re: BMB J-764 6/4 BBb with case & gig bag

Post by WakinAZ »

--SOLD--

Thanks Brandon. Pics added:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mpzkLhRGK3iG9BSj9