Trade: my 621F for GP F Cimbasso

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This forum is for buying or selling your personal equipment. Sponsored selling is allowed as well. All ads are required to have the following information: Price (even for trades), brand, model, and location (City and State, for instruments, not accessories). It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay auctions, but "Buy It Now" listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well, and may be hosted on Google Drive, or elsewhere. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Trade: my 621F for GP F Cimbasso

Post by Wes Krygsman »

Hello everyone!

Do you have a G&P piston Cimbasso (preferably silver) that you aren’t using much? Would you like to trade it for my Yamaha YFB621 silver F tuba that will most likely see more use? Contact me in an email.

WeskrygsmanATgmailDOTcom

i just wanted to put a feeler out to see if this trade was possible before putting it up for sale.

Here’s a picture of it from A 2015 or 2016 tuba Christmas. it looks the same but a little more silver playing is worn. More pics to come when I can get around to shining it up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&sfns=mo
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb
PRO
bugler
bugler

Re: Trade: my 621F for GP F Cimbasso

Post by PRO »

Bloke -- You have posted a 7.36 MB GIF file to a site that asks members to limit images to (as I recall) 150 KB.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

PRO wrote:Bloke -- You have posted a 7.36 MB GIF file to a site that asks members to limit images to (as I recall) 150 KB.
Uh oh, you're going to end up angry and sad, too!
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Mark -- Thank you. Not a reaction, just an observation. The GIF is more than 3000 times the allowed size. Glad you are not hosting it. Straight ahead. Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Post by PRO »

Mark -- Hosting and file size is a factual matter. Another matter altogether is the possibility that a moderator of TubeNet may condone judging, mocking, or ridiculing someone who posts on the site. Paul.
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

The first response was funny. I did not take it in a rude way. I appreciate all your thoughts. Read below.

To give some context, I will not be without a solid F tuba after the trade. I do know that an f tuba will get much more use than a cimbasso. I haven’t updated my signature for a while. I just got a Yamaha 821F tuba that I’m loving, so I won’t miss the 621. I finally have a bass tuba that can be as versatile as the sound in my head. The 621 is solid too and easy to play, but had a different sound “out front” than I thought. It’s definitely one of the most “point & shoot” f tubas I have ever played, to me the 821 is even better for me.

As for the cimbasso, I have heard from many and experienced myself that the piston ones are usually out of tune/difficult to play. I have always wanted a cimbasso and I don’t get along with rotors usually so the only real option is this brand. I have noticed that the older Kalisons that were longer/taller were much more difficult to play that the shorter/squatty ones when the brand changed to G&P were much better, although still a bear to play in tune. The one that Baltimore brass just sold a few months ago was definitely the best one I had played and I missed out on it to get my 821. I was hoping to find a decent one that could possibly be modded/fixed to play better.

Final option, if I sell my 621 outright, I could probably swing a cimbasso by Walter nirschl since I love my 6/4 York made by him so much, but it is the same design as G&P since it‘s my understanding that he got the tooling, plans, & stencils from them. Has anyone tried one of his cimbassos?
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott Sutherland »

Wow guys, is it any wonder why some people like me don't participate in this forum much anymore...?

Wes, your request seems totally reasonable. The 821 is a great horn! I played a poor man's 821 for years, a 621 with the 821 bell! Oh and the G&P works just fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfbtf6aTkBk" target="_blank

If you don't find a trade that works in the next year, I think I will have a G&P for sale. Sounds like you could easily off-load your 621 to a number of folks who clearly adore that model so much ;)
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com" target="_blank