SOLD: Weltklang/B&S 6/4 Kaiser 104 BBb Bookmark and Share

Sell and buy equipment.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

SOLD: Weltklang/B&S 6/4 Kaiser 104 BBb

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:00 pm

I am selling my Weltklang (stenciled “Klein Koblenz”) 4v Kaiser 6/4 BBb and vintage Mirafone canvas bag (unpadded) . There has been some debate about the origins of this tuba – whether it really is a B&S 104 stencil or if it precedes WWII. Some of that has been previously discussed here. I was told privately by a player in Europe that a colleague of his purchased this new nearly 40 years ago, and that it is indeed a B&S 104 stencil. Either way, it’s a fun tuba to play, makes a big sound, and has good intonation. Despite being a tall-belled tuba, there is a ton of presence in the sound. Not as much as a York-style tuba, but definitely there. The tall bell is not close to your ear, so it’s easy to overblow in pursuit of feedback, but that extra work is not necessary. You simply relax, play it, and it will do the work. Kaisers typically respond well to deep bowl-shaped mouthpieces, and this one is no different. You can use whatever mouthpiece you want, but the small-mp-on-big-American-tuba dynamic does not apply to the typical Kaiser tuba. I use a Sellmansberger Solo #2 with Profundo rim and extension ring (I can choose the rim diameter and profile that fits my face the best). I have also used a PT88, Miraphone TU43, and Tilz Walter Hilgers BH2 with nice results. With the right combination, you just feed it the fuel, and it will catapult the sound out there for you. The bell flare measures right at 18”, but the bell throat is huge. Height is 45”. I haven’t had it on the scale, but being hand-hammered sheet brass, it’s surprisingly light. I do use a tuba stand, but ergonomically, it’s comfortable to hold - my left arm rests easily on the top bow, allowing me to use the first slide when necessary (not that often).

The Kaiser is not a cosmetic beauty. Some of it has lacquer, some of it bare brass, but it plays and functions beautifully. The clockwork style valves are quiet and smooth (plastic washers installed), and they function well. It would be a shame to put modern valves on a classic like this, especially when it’s not necessary. All the slides work (Thanks to Bloke), and the first slide easily moves for minor intonation adjustments (1st valve is vented also). Without lubrication, the first slide sounds scratchy, but with lubrication, it works perfectly and silently. (I use a light coating of Resilience Slide Grease topped with Resilience Slide Lube – smooth as a baby’s bottom) Intonation is very good, and I only make a couple of 1st slide adjustments (C in the staff all the way in, pedal Eb & C, all the way out) The Kaiser also has signs of previous repairs, but those repairs were done well. The leadpipe has been spliced, and no serial number remains. Poor re-packing/mishandling by US Customs didn’t do me any favors either, but the tuba is in fine playing condition now.
I had the Kaiser at BlokePlace the end of November 2019, and he removed dents, aligned slides (without major surgery – unfortunately, I didn’t have a lot of time to spend there, so he worked as much magic as time allowed), he shortened the bugle to get it up to pitch, gave it a chem clean, and gave it a general going over. Joe assures me the valves aren’t worn out, but do have normal wear. So, I started using a slightly heavier oil mixture to account for any valve wear and blow-by, and the tuba really pops. The Kaiser has a really rich sound that is hard to describe, and I’m not really sure I want to sell it, but I might have an opportunity to buy one of my dream tubas, so she must go. I have another BBb that can fill the void for now.

The price is $3250 plus shipping. If the Kaiser was a beauty queen, I could probably get more, but either way, it’s a solid player. If you want a big hand-hammered sheet brass BBb that is fun, responsive, and easy to play that is easy on your wallet, this is your tuba. Sure, it's not a MW 197 or a Miraphone Siegfried, but you're not going to pay $18K-25K either. Local/driving distance sales are always nice, but I do have a large box for shipping. I don’t recall if it is oversized or overweight, but that can be determined. Buyer pays all shipping costs, insurance, etc. For questions, additional photos, offers, etc., PM or email through Tubenet is fine. EDIT: Greyhound and UPS have stations near me, but if the buyer wants to arrange something else, we can work it out. All shipping and insurance costs are the responsibility of the buyer.

Photos here: B&S Weltklang 6/4 Kaiser BBb 4v For Sale

Or here: Kaiser tuba
Last edited by Doc on Sun May 17, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.
FOR SALE (click the links):
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Weltklang/B&S 6/4 Kaiser 104 BBb For Sale

Postby bloke » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:31 pm

big phat sound, and manageable tuning 8)
It's Wagner/Prokofiev, Bruckner time !!!

With the type of sound it makes, this instrument would obviously (and - with more people likely interested in it for this purpose) would serve someone very well in a community band.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby EMC » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:12 pm

This is the kind of big BBb tuba Ive been wanting for awhile! If its still around when I graduate from the Army school of music id love to take it off your hands, but I kinda doubt itll last that long :tuba: Either way good luck Doc selling this beauty!
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 pm

EMC wrote:This is the kind of big BBb tuba Ive been wanting for awhile! If its still around when I graduate from the Army school of music id love to take it off your hands, but I kinda doubt itll last that long :tuba: Either way good luck Doc selling this beauty!

Thanks! If it's still here, I'd be happy for you to have it. Not many of these were made, and I don't know of any others that made it to the U.S. If I didn't think I needed to sell it to move on, I wouldn't!
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Levaix » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Oh dang... The big brother to my Sonora. Someone's going to get a killer tuba... Unfortunately, it won't be me; I already spent my tax refund money. :/
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Postby SWE » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 pm

That bow guard might come in handy in a scrape :shock:
SWE
bugler
bugler

Postby anotherjtm2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 pm

What's the other tuba in the last picture?
John Morris
- playing modest old tubas in volunteer ensembles
anotherjtm2
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 pm

anotherjtm2 wrote:What's the other tuba in the last picture?

Miraphone 181 for comparison.

Here’s another (for comparison, I’m 6’ 01” 310lbs):
https://flic.kr/p/2hgAZJa
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bort » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Damn that's a great looking tuba!

Makes me stop and really think... !
Alexander 163 CC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby kontrabasstuba » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 am

It's a very nice Tuba. I know this Instrument for many years. A friend from me played thisTuba before he decided to sell.
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Heavy_Metal » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:58 am

How come when I tried to view the pics, I got an "Adult Content" warning? :shock:
Frank
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3-piston BBb Helicon
Old Alexander Compensating F, getting valve job
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Doc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:57 am

Heavy_Metal wrote:How come when I tried to view the pics, I got an "Adult Content" warning? :shock:

I have no idea. No adult material on my account.
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:05 am

B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Try this link for pics:

Kaiser Tuba Pics
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Just to clarify (and practice what I preach)...

This tuba is not a glossy, shiny piece of eye candy, however, it is in great working condition and dent-free (You don't have to pay extra to have work done to it after you receive it - it is plug-n-play).
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Still available.
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bort » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 pm

Doc wrote:Still available.

...and that's crazy!
Alexander 163 CC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby anotherjtm2 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:38 pm

So tempting....
John Morris
anotherjtm2
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:53 pm

anotherjtm2 wrote:So tempting....

If you want to try it, I can meet you halfway between here and Austin sometime. La Grange? :tuba:
B&S 56AFT F Tuba
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby anotherjtm2 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:33 pm

Doc wrote:If you want to try it, I can meet you halfway between here and Austin sometime. La Grange? :tuba:

I'd thought of that :) Better not, though. A year ago (and all previous years) I had zero tubas. Now I have two, and I'm only playing in one community band, so it's not like I need a lot of variety. I'm learning to be fluent on C tuba with a B&S Musica that seems big enough for the band but also nimble enough to be fun, so I'll concentrate on it for a while.

It looks like a great horn, though. If I were at zero tubas, wanting to start playing again, that would be just the thing.
John Morris
anotherjtm2
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to Items for sale